Taking a canning class!!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Actually, I do this method, too, though any modern canning book will tell you not to :p Most of my jams are freezer style, but I love cooked blackberry jelly and do exactly as Sylvie described to get them to seal. No problems yet (fingers crossed).

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Mackay, I don't know the answer to your question but if nobody comes along who does, I will point out that one thing you have to watch out for is jars knocking against each other or against the canner, b/c they can break which is very messy and annoying. So just perching the jars up there, not in a rack or anything, that might be a little bit of a kick-me sign.

AFAIK the inversion method for jams/jellies/preserves is not particularly risky as long as you are not a complete idiot, because although you may get sterility failures you are likely to notice them and not eat the jar. It is safER to water-bath process your jams/jellies/preserves but paraffin or inversion are unlikely to kill you, just waste some of your time if (or in the paraffin method case, 'when') some jars turn out funny.

The very high sugar content of jams/jellies/preserves is what gives you a good safety cushion -- not too much fiercely-dangerous-but-unnoticeable will grow in nearly pure sugar like that :p

Pat, having used the inversion method a few times out of laziness or a hot poorly ventilated kitchen, but preferring to waterbath-process jams etc after a childhood of paraffin-preserves roulette... mom's results with paraffin were pretty erratic and we had enough leaky jars, mold to be scraped off, mold that had apparently penetrated well into the jelly, etc that I have acquired a sort of chronic pessimism about such things :p