TALchemist - back and moving along

TAlchemist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Ok I will start off saying that I am currently not very self sufficient. I am a decent gardner but mostly because I am good at reading and doing internet research not from experience or skill. I have until about 3-4 years ago lived my life floating by not really caring about much or thinking to hard. Everything intellectual came easy to me so I got lazy and that started to drag me down. I thought I had woken up in 2000 when I was suspended from college for bad grades, because I refocused and made deans list till I graduated but I still just floated by. I had a starting of a carrier, a fiance, and a houseI thought I had it all then things just started to pile up so I refused to believe it and kept on floating.

Although once my relationship ended and I was forced to think of what I wanted in my life I started looking around me, then the whole economy/2008 thing happened and I knew I had to pay attention. I started reading of preparing for the worst and living for the best, and got into gardening. Then I found a podcast called the survival podcast and a lot of what he said clicked with me, I am not a doom and gloomer but a realist and I realized everything cannot go on like it was.for me personally or the world. I didnt like what I was eating cause it stopped being food and became a chemical list.

I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone and started growing and making my own food, with real ingredients and even keeping rabbits (all the city will allow me) and I loved it. I felt better and cut out most of the chemical boxed crap in my life while storing things away and getting in touch with what I really wanted in life.

The further I went in converting my yard to a homestead the more I realized that I didnt want a homestead in the city, I wanted land in the country. Thanks to my nice job I was able to do a lot at home and I found some property about 40 minutes out of town. I have a contract accepted and in October I will close, as long as I get that down payment saved up by then and I get a loan, the bank SAYS I look good enough for the loan but until I sign the papers and it is mine it does worry me.

Thanks to journals on here like Wannabefree, Pinkfox, and Sunsaver I was encouraged and motivated. I hope to keep track on here what all I do and maybe get some advice when needed, and I love to just talk gardening and animals.

If all goes as planned then i have about 12 weeks till i get land :) 8 acres. about 2 wooded the rest was horse pasture but i dont know if a horse ever lived there. it has a 50+ by 32 ft barn with half concrete slab and enclosed (going to be the house later) a workshop in the middle of 4 horse stalls, plus a small pen attached to 2 of the stalls. and all 8 acres are fenced with 3 line electric fence, just needs a lot of tlc to remove vegitation and down limbs.

01. Name? Charles
02. Gender? Male
03. Disneyworld or Disneyland? The one in Florida.
04. What is your favorite color? Redno blue<AHHHHH!> :p
05. What is your favorite kind of gum? free
06. How much do you weigh? Too much
07. How tall are you? 510
08. Can you swim? Like a slow fish :)
09. Do you like to swim? Yes, alot
10. Living arrangement? Single
11. What's on your mouse pad? No pad, no mouse, Trackball !
12. Favorite board game? Risk
13. Favorite magazine? Grit or New Pioneer
14. Favorite Actor? Dont really care about any of them
15. Favorite Actress? Cant say, not many stand out
16. Do you have an accent? Not really, most people wonder why I dont since I am born in raised in Alabama.
17. Favorite smells? Fresh Cooking Smells
18. Least favorite smells? Any chemical smell
19. Favorite sound? Running water
20. Do you prefer pools or oceans? Oceans, they have fish
21. Do you watch Buffy The Vampire Slayer? Well I did, but not a huge fan
22. Pencil or pen? Mechanical Pencil
23. Who's better - boys or girls? Girls
24. Would you like to own a motorcycle? Yes
25. Do you sing in the shower? No
26. Who's the best looking Disney character? Jasmine
27. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning? Why is the dog barking
28. How many rings before you answer the phone? If driving, never. Otherwise 2-3
29. How do you want to die? In my sleep, or more preferablynot at all :)
30. Have you ever called a 900 number? no
31. Gold or silver? Silver
32. Would you ever go bungee-jumping? Never
33. Do you like dressing up? No, unless it is in costume
34. Would you rather be short or tall? I wish I was a little bit Taller..
35. Do you enjoy reading? Very much.
36. What book are you reading now? 4 books from Philip K Dick (4 in one a collection of his 60s writings)
37. Favorite books? Atlas Shrugged, Fountainhead, A Swiftly tilting Planet, Sword of Truth(whole series), The Hobbit, actually way to many more.
38. What was the last movie you saw? The Dark Knight Rises
39. Favorite movies? Fight Club, Day After Tomorrow, Star Wars (all), anything with Zombies :)
40. Do you sleep with a stuffed animal? no
41. What is your sign? Aquarius
42. What are your personality traits? Shy, Intelligent, sarcastic, and responding poorly to orders
43. What's your biggest fear? Growing old alone
44. Would you ever have cosmetic surgery? nope
45. Future child's name? ???
46. Favorite foods? Anything that used to move around, especially if it went moo. And macaroni and cheese
47. Chocolate or vanilla? Chocolate
48. Do you like to drive fast? Rarely even get to the speed limit, I like slow driving
49. Storms - cool or scary? Cool and scary
50. Do you like to dance? Not at all
51. Do you do drugs? never
52. Do you smoke? never
53. What do you think of people who smoke? Really dislike it, but everyone is free to choose.
54. Do you drink? Yes, but not that often
55. Favorite drink? Mudslide or Bushwaker, anything with kaluha :)
56. Do you think men and women could ever be just friends without wanting each other? Not really because proximity makes it difficult for the male brain to stay just friends.
57. Do you eat the stems of broccoli? Depends on if the buns are hungry :)
58. If you could have any job you wanted, what would it be? Video Game Programmer
59. What's your "type"? I still dont know
60. Do you bite your nails? sometimes
61. Any siblings? One older brother
62. What movies have you cried in? none, I have gotten close to tears maybe 1-2 times
63. Do you believe in God? yes
64. Did you ever cry over a guy/girl? no
65. Have you ever stolen anything? Yes, I was an idiot for a while mostly I picked things up and forgot I had them at all and walked off
66. Do you procrastinate? I might tell you later when I get around to it.
67. Do you believe in fate? Yes and no
68. Who's your favorite Sesame Street character? Oscar the grouch
69. Do you organize your CD's? I think I had them once, then they all got stolen 
70. What is your favorite kind of music? All but rap, but mostly country and classical
71. What are your favorite bands/artists? Way to many to name
72. What was the last CD you got? I dont remember anymore
73. MTV or VH1? Neither, even when I did have cable
74. Who do you admire the most? People who stand on their princples
75. Internet Boyfriends and Girlfriends? Huh?
76. Are you single? yes
77. Favorite TV show? CSI
78. Blondes, Brunettes, or Redheads? All, but I guess dark hair is my favorite
79. Glasses or contacts? Neither on me, I love glasses on women though 
80. What color are your eyes? Hazel normally, but they do change with my mood, so I have been told
81. What is your natural hair color? Brown
82. But what color is it now? Shaved :)
83. Have you ever been in love? I think so
84. Any pets? Yes
85. Good, decent, or poor grades? Crappy till I got serious then deans list till I graduated
86. Is the glass half empty or half full? Depends on the day
87. Do you type with your fingers on the right keys? Yes, otherwise it would be gibberish?
88. What's under your bed? Monsters ;)
89. What is your favorite number? 3
90. Favorite sport to watch? Football

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Glad you started your journal! :D

Those 12 weeks may seem like a long time now, but they'll be gone before you know it and you'll be free from the city! :celebrate

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
:welcome to the Journaling crowd!!

Plan good, and all will go good. But don't lose your focus, and ambition when times are rough or when it looks like a lost battle :) It does get better

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Guess you're too far away for me to sneak my horses into your pasture. Oh well. Look forward to reading more of your journey.

TAlchemist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
i am going to sort through some of my photos and post some pictures of the progress/practice i have already started here in the city. i figure i should start where iam and where i am going. i also have some pictures of the land to post as well. i will try and do that tonight.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You'll need 10 posts to your name before you can post pictures. ;)

It's just an anti-spam system that is in place here on the forum.

TAlchemist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
well, then i will need to post a few more times, till then i will post the pictures.

TAlchemist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
oh also (normally i would edit the post above but i do need 10 :D) i will say what i have currently.

first are the rabbits
-5 pure breed new zealand reds, 2 males and 3 females.
-1 mini-rex.

My Hens
- 3 Reds <that is what tractor supply called them, they lay very good but are kinda not nice, not mean, just not nice>
- 2 Buff Bhramahs <these gues rock they just dont lay as well>

My dog
- 1 half black and tan german shepard/half black and tan coon hound....so she has a perfect black and tan coat :) she is the sweetest thing, good guard dog as long as the bad guys never figure out that if they got in the yard she might accidently love them to death but never hurt them....she just sounds like she is evil:lol:

TAlchemist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
ok 10 posts :lol:

i will share some of my favorites tonight, tomorow at work i will add the rabbit huch setup and main gaden pics...they only reside on my desktop aparently.

but for tonight since they are cute, my first 3 rabbits
5363_3284_mary.jpg

Mary, who pased this year, but she was a good mother.

5363_3284_lucy.jpg

Lucy

5363_3284_buck.jpg

Buck, my buck...i know original isnt it

5363_3284_litter.jpg

Mary's best litter to date, her last litter. i got to keep the best female.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Your rabbits are so cute! They remind me of Beatrix Potter :p

Look forward to following along in your journal, and :fl on the property!

Latest posts