Talk to me about Canning.....I am a newbie!

DouglasPeeps

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am very interested in canning. I have canned in a non-traditional way - freezer. :/ Now I am ready to take the plunge. Please excuse my "newbie terminology" I picked up a HUGE blue canning pot - I think for water bath canning???? I do not have a pressure canner at this time. I will be canning things from my garden and fruit trees this year:
pumpkin
beans
peas
cherries

Can you please give this "newbie" some helpful tips.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
First of all WELCOME!

There are tons of experienced canners here and you will have tons of great advice soon.

(I did a lot of canning water bath style in the past. I just followed the directions I had in a wonderful country cookbook on canning and preserving. All of my books are in boxes due to a recent move, so I don't have that book at hand right now.)

Good luck to you!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
You can can your cherries no problem; and you can pickle your beans to can them.

However it is not a good idea to try to can vegetables (your pumpkin and peas) with just a water bath canner, as these foods lack the acidity to discourage the organism that causes botulism and a water bath canner does not heat the food hot enough to destroy the botulism organism.

Basically, things you can do in a water bath canner (following proper directions) are basically:

fruits, in water or juice or light syrup or heavy syrup
fruit pie fillings or compotes as per a safe recipe
jams/jellies/marmalades/chutneys and similar fruit-based high-acid spreads
pickles (except pickled eggs not recommended for safety)
most fruit juices
tomato products with sufficient acidity and no additional veggies added (or, added but acidity corrected, as per safe recipe)

Things that it is a whole lot safer to save for the pressure canner:

vegetables
fruit or tomato products w/ veggies added and acidity unknown or low
soups
salsas of unknown or low acidity
meat/poultry/fish

I second or third the recommendation to get the Ball Blue Book of Canning, it will tell you all the useful stuff (about methodology, safety and recipes) that you need to know to get going! :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

DouglasPeeps

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Can you please tell me a place where I can find The Ball Blue Book of Canning?

Thanks!

DouglasPeeps

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
ldburton said:
I picked one up at Walmart.
Yea! I was hoping someone would say that! I guess I am off to get one tonight! Thank you!!!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
:welcome

Because canning books aren't found at thrift stores often, well I mean as soon as folks see them there gone.

I find my dead tree books at second hand book stores, so that is a good source for you to think about as well.

When using a new recipe, its best to make a small batch and make sure you like it. I did a salsa recipe that I thought I would like, but it wasn't to my taste. I made 7 quarts, 6 I gave away, so I wasted the food I grew for my family. Maybe didn't waste it, but I could have added more of somethig I like.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Modern Pioneer makes a good point...in addition to making small batches, be sure to TASTE things before you can them.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can also ferment those low-acid veggies until you get a pressure canner, or freeze them. Of course, you will need fridge room or a good, steady, cool root cellar to store them in.

I finally convince dh of our need for a second fridge....now watching CL for a newer cheap one that is close by!