Talk to me about molting....

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am noticing a lot of feathers on the ground this week and it just dawned on my that one of my girls has not given me an egg in a week or two!

Please educate me!
How long will this last?
Do they need any supplements or feeding changes?
Anything I should or should not be doing?

I know I could probably go to BYC....but I prefer your input! :love

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
This is the time of year when I go out to get my breakfast eggs and walk around muttering, "Buncha freeloaders!!!" :lol:

Twenty birds and 2-3 eggs per day.... :he

But the floodgates will open again. The roosters are getting more active, and the hens are getting more cooperative. A sure sign of cackleberries to come. I give them a bit more good protein (meat scraps, but I don't feed conventionally at all) so they can grow feathers for winter warmth.

How long does it last? Hmmm.....depends on the hen, really. Some keep their legs crossed for weeks, others just slow down but keep laying. I just lost my steadiest and favorite girl. :hit

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It must be that time of year. My NHR is molting like crazy. She is not quite a year. So, I don't know why. My other two are dropping feathers here and there. My Redstar or RIR (don't know what the heck she it - just cute) has stopped laying and looks like she may go into a serious molt, soon. They are also getting a bit tired. My NHR is also a bit moody despite the extra protein, supplements and emotional support from me.

I have been giving them canned mackeral and plain yogurt. There is a supplement for parrots and other large birds that my vet said I could give to her. Try to find out the name for you.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Yes the daylight begins to fade away for the winter and this signals the hens to "change into their winter duds". :)

They molt for several weeks usually (it does depend on the hen). Out with the old feathers and in with the new ones to better protect against cold days ahead. Just keep feeding them good. Some people do up the protein in the ration a bit during this time, but my hens usually go into molt quite fat, so I usually don't bother much.

Now is a good time to really clean out that hen house as well before winter and winterize it if necessary. I add some wood ashes or DE to the new litter. They are going to be inside so much more as the weather turns bad. I want it to be nice and clean so they can stay healthy. I also keep a little straw spread outside of their pop door this time of the year. The straw acts like a door mat and helps keep mud out of the coop and most importantly off of the eggs!

I will start sprouting whole oats for my hens after the first hard freeze as well. Right now they are simply PLOWING my garden spot. When it snows the first time I throw straw into the garden. I just leave it in the flakes - the hens LOVE to spread it for me. A flake of good leafy hay will be appreciated and eaten as winter comes as well.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Dace, it looks like several hens have exploded in my coop! :ep I have been in a continual moult since August and last year they were still bald into Jan/Feb. Then, one day, I look around and they all have glossy, new feathers!

I really feel bad for them at this time of the year. How in the world do they stay warm with all those bald patches?

And ya know what? :somad Just like in the human world, the rooster barely gets any of this happening to him! Loses a cock feather or two and gets to stay warm and pretty all winter! :tongue

My eggs slow down a good bit for a month or so, but look out in March! Eggs coming out my ears! :ya

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thank you all!

Cleaning out the coop and winterizing is on my list for the weekend :) Need to get some plastic up on the west facing window to block the cold wind.
A bale of straw is easy to get to spread out around the coop entrance, but we don't really get measurable rain until much later in the winter. Perhaps that should wait a bit longer.

Up the protein a bit? Can do....

I can't tell which one is losing feathers as 3 of the are black. None of them actually LOOK like they are molting though, so I guess it will get worse huh? :rolleyes:

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Some molt gradually and don't look too scruffy. Others look diseased!
That's an understatement!!!!!! One of my Speckled Sussex this year took forever to grow her feathers back! E kept insisting that there must be something wrong with her, she was the only one who went nearly bald!