Talk to me about molting....

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
DianeB said:
She is either a Golden Comet/Gold Star or a Rhode Island Red. I got all my chickens out of a bin that said red pullets at the feed store. They said RIR. I just go with that.

Ethel rules the roost and is the queen of the pets. What she says goes. Everyone, even our cats and dog, make way for her.
Awww....I used to have one like that, Honey was her name. She arrived a sweet, near death little day old and turn into the Queen Bee. She literally growled....all the time. Never was really mean just seemed so grumpy that everyone gave her her space. That is until a coyote got her. I still miss that crabby girl!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have three EE hens and haven't had a green egg from any of them in over two months. They're the ones that will be fully feathered first, they started first. My coop looks like someone slaughtered a pillow (not my line, but I thought it was a riot, and so true!). Some of the RIRs look like pin cushions right now. I am getting 2-4 eggs a day from 14 hens :rolleyes: Bunch of freeloading wenches in that coop!

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace said:
DianeB said:
She is either a Golden Comet/Gold Star or a Rhode Island Red. I got all my chickens out of a bin that said red pullets at the feed store. They said RIR. I just go with that.

Ethel rules the roost and is the queen of the pets. What she says goes. Everyone, even our cats and dog, make way for her.
Awww....I used to have one like that, Honey was her name. She arrived a sweet, near death little day old and turn into the Queen Bee. She literally growled....all the time. Never was really mean just seemed so grumpy that everyone gave her her space. That is until a coyote got her. I still miss that crabby girl!
Well, there is no coyotes around here. She even gets to sleep inside with her flockmates in a giant crate. Yes, they are spoiled. Hope they live forever.

She was always bosy and independent. Also doesn't actual attack. Just walks up to another animals, whines - sounds like an opera singer, no joke - and they move out of her way fast.

Looks like she may start to molt soon. There are a few pinfeathers poking out around her neck. A moody, molting Ethel will not be a fun expereince for anyone.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
LOL

I had a duck like that at one time. Janet didn't take crap from ANYONE! She was a tiny little khaki campbell. I swear she thought she was an african goose or something!

We were worried when we first got the ducks that our son's 1 year old male cat might be a problem. Well he started to stalk them when we released them in the yard for the first time. Janet fluffed up and wings flapping chased him under an upturned wheelbarrow and kept him trapped under there until hubby rescued him. Pretty much set the tone for the cat/duck relationship from then on.