Tanning a red fox hide

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, let's say 'a friend' killed a fox that was trying to eat one of his guinea hens (quite literally). And 'that friend' has had the fox in the freezer since the end of January. All legal, of course, since it was taken during our red fox season.

Can I tan the hide myself? What would that take to do? 'He' has a call into a local taxidermist who wants about $200 for the process. Is that worth it?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I've been reading up about tanning rabbit hides. It doesn't seem so hard. I wouldn't pay anyone 200 dollars to do it. The basic process was explained here on a thread by another SS person....I can't think of whom it was, but they had a lot of experience with it. I'll look for that thread for you glenolam and I'll come back and edit this if I can find it.

Here it is http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8277 Booker81 has done some tanning, you might send a PM.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Generic warning, you wanna be careful when doing messy things with carnivore carcasses, foxes being a good example, because they certainly do sometimes carry the rabies virus. Care and gloves are generally smart. The virus can last a day or so postmortem under normal conditions, I honeslty have no clue if/how it may be affected by freezing.

Pat

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the input - and great advise Pat. Although rabies is definitely in our area I'll be honest and say it's not something we'd think of protecting ourselves from.