Tanning my hide

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hubby is going to tan his Fox hide. HE is going to buy something to do it with which is something I was trying to avoid doing. I will let ya'll know what it is and how it turns out.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
This is some great information here. So I thought I'd give it a bump, so it could be refreshed with any new information you all might have.
I'd copy out the detailed directions I have for tanning the appache way, but it is 6 pages long in the book. So I'll pass, sorry, I don't want to get carpal tunnel. :hide

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I tanned some really nice hides with vinegar and salt. Boiled the vinegar added salt then let it cool and soaked some squirrel hides for about a month. Stirring ever day to make sure there were no folds. They lasted for a couple of years until my dh's dog chewed them up. Were soft, too since I worked them as they were drying. Haven't been able to get it to work on larger hides though. My dh said it wasn't tanning it was pickling! Whatever works! :p Another thing is just salt drying. That usually makes a usable hide. I make my dh a muzzleloader pouch out of a salt dryed bobcat hide. I beaded the straps and it was really pretty. I also dampened and worked it then oiled it so it was just like leather.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Just thought I'd pass along a mall bit I came across about tanning.

In the Readers Digest Back To Basics book, on page 299, it discusses smoking deerskin. The hide was dehaired by the wood ash and water method. Then its softened by rubbing it with the brains of the animal and then placed on a frame to smoke. Smoking cures the leather so that it does not stiffen or rot, even when it gets wet.

Obviously its a great method if you don't want the hair on, and want to use the leather for other things. One day I will try it!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Here it is...

Brains!! That's right I remember reading that you were going to do it this way...

Amazing!! Great information!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Nah, BBH....I'm not doing the brains method. I'm doing the Salt, Borax, fleshing, washing in the washing machine method, followed by a tanning agent.

Not much into brains....the one part that always grossed me out... :sick When you saw off antlers, this is the part to gag on....brains.... :sick :sick :sick

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
washing in the washing machine method??? See again, I learn something new everyday over here! :p

Is your method mentioned on another thread? Did I dig up the wrong one?*

Brains ARE gross! :sick

*ETA: NEVERMIND I see your instructions on page one.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I would be nervous to put that lot in my washing machine, when it says to wash out the acid mix and rinse twice or something like that... I'd hate that in my washing machine, perhaps folks keep a machine just for tanning / ??

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
I would be nervous to put that lot in my washing machine, when it says to wash out the acid mix and rinse twice or something like that... I'd hate that in my washing machine, perhaps folks keep a machine just for tanning / ??
Take it to the laundrymat,...:D :gig

Latest posts