Taste of the Wild food & Cats

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, he is declawed. I took him to the vet today and he did have an UTI. Looking back, we did also have the cats declawed around the same time that I started changing them over to TOTW. So hopefully this will take care of it.

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Looking back, we did also have the cats declawed around the same time that I started changing them over to TOTW. So hopefully this will take care of it.
That'll do it, for sure. Glad you got it figured out and hopefully taken care of :thumbsup

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Poor kitty. I believe those are very uncomfortable for them. I'm glad you got it figured out. After reading these posts, I'm not anxious to try TOTW cat food.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Poor kitty. I believe those are very uncomfortable for them. I'm glad you got it figured out. After reading these posts, I'm not anxious to try TOTW cat food.
I think most animals thrive on the change, but sudden changes in diet do mess with them, regardless of how good the change is.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
savingdogs said:
I think most animals thrive on the change, but sudden changes in diet do mess with them, regardless of how good the change is.
This was not a sudden change. I slowly changed them over to TOTW over a month period. I'm wondering if the anestesia had something to do with it too.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
savingdogs said:
This was not a sudden change. I slowly changed them over to TOTW over a month period. I'm wondering if the anestesia had something to do with it too.
Not referring to yours. Just in general.
I bet your right though, that the surgery was the cause.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Some cats don't like to dig with their paws after declawing, you might try different litters.

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
cats can literally just stress themselves into a UTI with no other medical reason (and they can hide their stress very well also, so it's not always obvious). surgery and pain during recovery can definitely do it, and males are more susceptible than females. i'm hopeful the meds alone will resolve this but if not, i'd go with SD's suggestion. IF his paws were hurting when digging in the litterbox, he could associate the box with pain and so refuse to use it and then this'd become a behavioral/psychological problem instead of medical; either a different litter, or a different box in a different area of the house should help with that (assuming his paws are no longer causing pain). but hopefully that's not the case :)

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Some cats don't like to dig with their paws after declawing, you might try different litters.
Yep, that's why I asked. I bet it has more to do w/ the declawing than anything. We adopted a declawed male cat who has litter box issues, and he now lives outside because of it. He is the best hunter!

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So far so good. We haven't had an accident in 2 days now.

My vet had me use a different litter when they were declawed. They used that while they were on the mend. Then I went back to the scoopable that I use. They are definitely using it since I do need to clean it every day. I'm suspecting this UTI was my problem.

Latest posts