TAX RETURNS!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm currently efiling my tax returns, which I've done for the past few years now. I love how easy it is and the quick return. I should be getting a good return this year.

I will be trying to buy a good used tiller, a few lambs, bees and some gardening implements. A little will be used for some vehicle repairs, the rest will be placed in savings.

Anyone already earmarked their tax returns for SS projects or just for savings?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
We always E-file too. Any money coming here in chunks will go directly to the mayonaise jar and be buried in the back yard. However, at the suggestion from another thread I will bury it under paperwhites or something similar so I won't forget where it is. LOL

DH and I have agreed that any new purchases, SS or otherwise, will be done with cash on hand or saved for in a set aside fund. No more money out of savings and any income tax returns will go directly to savings.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Unfortunately the money is going the wrong way for us this year. We only owe a little, but I'm going to pay it on the 15th of April. I do like the e-file system though. Beats doing it by hand!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I used to claim "0" on my W-2s so I would get a bigger return until I read an article that said it was like letting the government collect interest on the money I was "saving" all year.

Then I tried to meet it more in the middle, where I would still get a good return without having to pay taxes, but still keep more of my paycheck to put in my OWN savings where it could earn interest.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I used to claim "0" on my W-2s so I would get a bigger return until I read an article that said it was like letting the government collect interest on the money I was "saving" all year.

Then I tried to meet it more in the middle, where I would still get a good return without having to pay taxes, but still keep more of my paycheck to put in my OWN savings where it could earn interest.
I try to keep the return as close to zero as possible. No big fat check when everyone else is getting one, BUT as you said, no one is borrowing my money without paying interest.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Just completed my filing while chatting on the forum...which is sooo cool! I will be getting back $5073!!!! :weee :celebrate :bun

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We plan on stuffing some in the savings and buying another woodstove to go in the kitchen.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good deal BEE---that is some serious money you are getting.

We also claim 0

I don't care if the govt. makes money off a little interest on me, cause I use it as a savings acct. If I didn't do it, then I wouldn't get back a huge chunk which I need. This way it is guaranteed saved.....

but I should be getting close to 6K back total from state and fed.

ME---$1000 to Tony to do what he wants.
Rest in the bank. No spending for us.

Terrible times are coming. I am banking up still and not taking chances for a while.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
My return will be going back into the animals. Haven't got all our tax info back yet (still waiting on DH's) but I don't think we'll get as good a return as you are, Bee. :p

Two goals for our return are animal feed and building out my coop.