Teaching Self-Sufficiency

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I was thinking... what about asking the girls what they'd like to learn? Say 'hey, everyone should grow up able to do for themselves if they have to, and not be stuck totally dependant on others -- what things would YOU like to learn to be more independant about?" You could give them some examples to choose from, but they could also come up wth their own ideas, and I betcha you could find some aspect of what they're interested in that you could actually do and work on.

Have fun,

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh my goodness fake taters are just horrible! no dehydrated or fake spuds here..LOL

the taste is just nasty vs. real taters! :)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Dace had a great idea, having them grow something. Having a youngster grow something plants a seed (pun intended) of self sufficiency. Not only does it teach them about where their food comes from, but instills a lot of confidence.

There's nothing like a child watching a seed that he or she planted sprout and grow.

Below is my son with his first plants (red kidney beans). He has planted something every year since, even though he has lived in the city and the "burbs" all of his life.

749.jpg

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
How about getting them to discuss TV commercials, and what consumerism tells them they NEED, and then discuss ways they can do things without succombing to the disposable-- garbage

In other words... commercials---swiffers, lysol wipes, paper towels, dryer sheets, Even baby food, baby wipes, etc etc. What are things you could do/make so that you don't NEED to buy these things.

And since I like to be frugal--also making things from scratch as opposed to buying premade, processed foods.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
What an adorable boy!!! Love this pic!!! Should be pic of the week for the SS forum!! :clap

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
He may have been cute then, but look what happened to him, he went and grew up. Last year he raised four tomato plants... on the roof of the Superdome! He likes fresh tomatos with his lunch. :D

Superdome_2006_10_08_0_small.gif

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
How about getting them to discuss TV commercials, and what consumerism tells them they NEED, and then discuss ways they can do things without succombing to the disposable-- garbage

In other words... commercials---swiffers, lysol wipes, paper towels, dryer sheets, Even baby food, baby wipes, etc etc. What are things you could do/make so that you don't NEED to buy these things.

And since I like to be frugal--also making things from scratch as opposed to buying premade, processed foods.
This is a BIG focus of mine, so last year we talked a lot about commercials. I'd like to do more on it next month, in the lead-up to Christmas. I started off by saying that the point of every commercial was to tell you that your life wasn't that great. Because otherwise, why would you need to buy their product?

I really wish that I had access to a kitchen because I LOVE to cook, and I've found that kids really enjoy it, too, when they're given the chance.

As I love to garden, we also planted seeds in recycled containers last year, and I think about half the girls got theirs to grow.

Thank you guys for all your ideas!! I can't wait to put some of them to use!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
If you are in a school building would there not be a home ec. room or staff lunchroom that you could use? You could always ask for access to a room,yes?

I think this whole idea is great!

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Right now, I'm in elementary schools, and they don't have anything like that. Next year, we're going to 'follow' the girls into the middle schools, one of which I know has a home ec room. I'm sure it will depend on the principal, if I can use those rooms or not. It's AMAZING the difference in some of these schools, because of who the principal is. I have 2 AWESOME principals that I work with, 1 OK one, and one virtually nonexistent one. Luckily, my DH's cousin works in that school, so she helped me get things set up there.