Terrible buying habits in the USA

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i also think that so many people are unaware of where their goods actually come from and what that really means. as a society, we've become so used to cheap goods that we don't think about the real costs (again, that doesn't really apply to anyone on here).

if you haven't seen Blood, Sweat, and T-Shirts, i highly suggest watching it. it follows 6 British 20somethings who are materialistic, obsessive shoppers who are sent to Asia to actually work alongside the people who really make their clothes. they earn the same wage and live in the same conditions. it's quite eye-opening.

so, even if you must buy goods made overseas because of availability, really try to by fair trade goods.

here's a clip from the show.

there is also a companion show about cheap food called Blood, Sweat and Takeaways that is just as compelling.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Time for me to comment for what it is worth. OK the battle cry first BUY AMERICAN!!!! and my personal fav AMERICA FIRST!!!!! now on with my comment.. My family and I have been working towards as much self suffiecient and buy local as we can for the last 5 yrs. We started with getting rid of the T.V. from there things started falling into place. With that saving alone we were able to buy better food which helps with the doctors bill because we don't go to the doctors. No medical insurance here either but that is another storie. The next was putting really basic phone service in. Using a calling card when we have too. Then control the electric bill. By doing these 3 things we are able to buy almost all our food local and some of our esentials. The essentails is a real issue but we are working on that next. Clothing and building supplies is a hurtal. Buying US clothing /shoes is next to impossble for the cheap but we believe quality is better then cheap. Plus we hate to support sweat shops. :( Don't be fooled by made some where else when China is just shipping the items there and tagging them as made in that country. we feel thrift shops are the best. The money for item has already been sent to the company so when we buy it the 2nd time the money stays here. :) When you have TV your kids see brand names all the time. Break that image in there head.

I could go on but I am losing my momentum. I'll comment as the thread gets bigger or if anyone has questions or wants to flame me. :)

Final thought I think americans need to really step back and look at what they have and really need. There is a lot of saving on our own house and we do speak with our pocket book. The world knows this!!! The American consumer is a powerful force if united. :)

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
That $50 (at maturity) savings bond you buy today will be worth about $25 in today's buying power when it matures.

Cheaper to buy a new watch than repair a broken one.

I agree, the typical American consumer would pay less for junk that doesn't last than pay a little more for good stuff that lasts.

Also, don't just assume that because the company is American that it's products are made in the USA. I bought a pair of boots from a top American company and the boots were made in China. Made sure my replacement boots were made in the USA.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patandchickins - I really like your posts. :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
My DH is one that has to buy anything that he thinks he needs. And then he complains about the amount of junk in the house. His lastest thing? He's talking about a big screen TV. I don't want one, and don't really see the need, especially when the money would be better spent paying off bills.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It is an exercise in frustration to buy American, but incredibly important. My cheap-o (made in China) food processor is on it's last legs, so I thought it would be good to ask for a new American-made one for Christmas. Guess what - there don't seem to be any companies that make them in America! Even Kitchen-Aid, who I like because they do have an American factory & their stuff is indestructible, outsources that job to China. Now what??? :he

I guess the next step is to see if someone has one 2nd hand, so at least some money is staying here.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey Curly how are you and hope you had a great Thanksgiving!!

haven't seen you around too much on the board
Hope all is going well for you!!!

yea that other poster said at least buying used is not giving your money directly to the company as profit from you lol

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
A comment back to an earlier post. I have no problem buying "made in China" at a thrift store since I'm not kicking any money overseas. All of the thrift stores I shop at are community charities anyway.

Latest posts