Thank you for all the great advice re: Mylie

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just wanted to let everyone know that I have really appreciated all the great advice and help that has been offered over the last 5 months regarding Mylie, but unfortunately Mylie has to be euthanized. I was willing to give her away to someone competant who can handle her but new information has come to light and I have decided that I don't want to burden anyone else with her. Something REALLY bad has happened to her in the past and it is highly unlikely she'll ever come out of it. She is missing enormous chunks of muscle in her neck, and has huge trust problems. She is extremely anti-social with people and even with my pony. I feel horribly for this horse and I wish there was some way to turn her around but she's been like this for so long, and has had so many bad things done to her by humans that its unlikely she'll ever trust humans fully in anyway.

The vet is coming out Thursday morning to euthanize her and after speaking to her last trainer, my trainer, and the veterinarian who has seen her we all agree this is what is in her best interests. She would have an extremely uncertain life ahead of her if I did find a home for her and I don't want that for her, and there is a high chance she could kill someone.

Thank you everyone for your great advice and help but some horses just cannot be helped. I'm not one to give up, and I don't feel like I'm giving up... I feel like this is her only option. She is wild, and appears to have moments of clarity and moments where she is totally spun and it takes her a day or two to come down from her spooks. The background on this mare is more than unhandled for many months, its more like unhandled and abused for many years. She has a super sweet personality (when I've been able to get my hands on her at all) but its covered up so much by sadness, distress, and years of abuse and neglect. She is a gorgeous horse and I will miss her but she'll be better off in the end.

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm sorry you have to put down your horse. Too bad the same thing can't be done for the abusive aholes who made her the way she is.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:hugs so sad, when I had my horse (also a rescue with scars on her) at a boarding facility, there was another horse there with big issues, he was huge and would be a sweetheart one minute then flip out the next. He reared up and freaked out so bad one day he broke the bone at the top of his tail/butt area because he fell over when he reared up. He had to be put down as well, because of his unpredictable behaviour, he just couldn't be trusted around people.

:hugs

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:( Gosh Lupin, I am so sorry! :hugs I had no idea Mylie was a rescued horse. Poor thing.

Yep, rescue owner here too. One of mine still has major issues and I've been with her for 5 years now. They aren't dangerous issues thankfully, however, she is still scared emotionally and physically. :(

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the tough decision you had to make. what happened toe h cowboy type guy who was coming to look at her?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I am so sorry you have had to make this tough decision. It sounds like you really tried to give her a good life. At least she had that. You can pat yourself on the shoulder for putting up with her all this time and making the effort to work with her.
Some damage just cannot be undone and it is too bad that it happens that way.
It sounds like you really thought it through and I feel for you. You are a very kind person to put yourself through this, rather than passing Mylie off onto someone else. At least she will be at peace.

:hugs

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, I have so much respect for the strength of your ethics about this situation. Very few people would have the fortitude to make this decision, most would pass on the problem and extend her suffering rather than bear the pain themselves.

You are a tough cookie, and I'm sorry you have to go through this :hugs

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth, he came out and he couldn't catch her and in the end it really traumatised her to the point where she pretty much plasters herself against the fence when people go near her. The man was obviously a meat buyer who trains up the duds and sells them to unsuspecting people (the kind that would sell you a lame on all 4s and swear it was sound).

I'm sad to see her go but in almost 6 months the biggest progress we made was being able to touch her nose, which she forgot the next day and was wilder than before we made the progress.