Thanks for the prayers, keep 'em coming, but now I need ideas

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You know the old saying, "expect the best but plan for the worst"? While I'm playing the waiting game for the test results, the only thing I can do to keep from going insane is plan. I need ideas on how to make the farm chores as easy and efficient as I can, so I can do as much as possible by myself even when I'm feeling rotten from chemotherapy. I know it's hard to make suggestions when you haven't seen my setup, but basically, the goats get round bales of hay year round (not much pasture here) and a pelleted ration fed out of a bulk bin using pails to carry it to the various feeders. I'm already making plans to get the goats consolidated into as few pens as possible, but that means heavier pails. I remember last time I went through chemo I had a heck of a time with muscle spasms and weakness in my back. Packing heavy pails may not be an option. On the other hand, carrying lighter pails but having to haul them to many different pens may not be too easy either.

If we get into winter and I'm still in treatment, which happened last time, watering is also an issue. Some pens don't have a water source nearby and we have to haul water in pails. I find a full pail of water awfully heavy at the best of times and if I'm worn out from the treatment, I know I won't be able to manage it.

And since it's the most obvious solution to most of my problems, let me say that no, there are no neighbors or friends I can call on for help, at least not on a daily basis. That's why I'm working on a plan to get things simplified.

I also want to make sure I have the household prepared a little better this time. If there's time before I have to have surgery and treatment, I still want to put in a garden and maybe even raise some meat birds. Keeping DH fed when I was nauseated at the very thought of food wasn't easy last time. He's good about making his own meals, but there has to be something there for him to cook. I don't have a lot of freezer space so I'm thinking I might want to can more and freeze less. Just how well does canning chicken turn out? Can you use it in recipes the same way you can fresh chicken? I'm thinking of things like stir frys, casseroles, etc.

So, if anyone has any ideas on ways to overcome these problems, I'd appreciate hearing them, and heck, even if things turn out okay and I don't have to go through the cancer dance again, I'll probably use the ideas anyway. I'm always looking for ways to make things more efficient around here.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
How big is your house? the only thing I can think of is to offer a room free in turn for chores around the farm?

I would seriously think of getting a freezer and making some make ahead meals--like casseroles, lasagna, etc. You can can any meat, but it will be saucy--like in a gravy type thing.

Since you have been thorugh this before, think of all the areas where it was difficult last time., and prepare for that. For me--I would --every time I cooked, made double or triple, and froze the leftovers.

You can look into once a month cooking.

Also--I dont know about your province, but here in Ontario--highschool students need to do community service before they graduate. Maybe you can talk to you local highschool and explain the situation, and see if you can get the students to come for their community service.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself though--the stress won't do you any good.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Do you have a pressure canner? I have had a great time this past year making and eating one-jar or two-jar meals. I am planning ahead to help my folks out. They live far away, so when I go there, there is not as much time to get everything done as I would like. As they get older, there is more of a need for these types of meals, even now, on days when mom is too tired to cook.

So what I've done so far might give you some ideas:

Canned soups, a little on the concentrated side, meaning more food and less broth for a hearty soup or stew. Pints for individual meal and quarts to share with dh, with a sandwich or even just toast or crackers. Or cooked leftover rice or pasta can be added when heating it up to stretch it. I've done chicken soup, bean and ham soup, and beef stew. I find that carrots, turnips or rutabagas, and collard greens hold up well in the pressure canner.

Chili with lots of shredded veggies in it (carrots, green beans, and spinach).

Beef chunks to add to things, and "meatloaf" which is really ground meat with onions and garlic and no binders. Makes a great sandwich, or eaten as a main meat in the meal, or can be chopped a bit and added to spaghetti sauce and such.

Spaghetti sauce, plain and with meat added.

Beans, which dh loves to add to other things he is eating. I like to mash black beans and make burritos and dip for nachos. They are a fraction of the price of store bought canned beans, and you can make them sodium-free and preservative free. Very handy when making a soup from scratch, too.

That's all I can think of now, but it sure helped free up the freezer for all the stuff that I don't like canned, like veggies that get mushy or don't taste right to me! And berries, and meats to bake or fry. Made a huge difference this past winter.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many animals you end up feeding or watering, but I've seen people attach a pipe or rain gutter pieces on the fence so you can pour the feed/water in that and it'll run down into the feeders - that could help when you're back or arms hurt too much to lift the pails over.

Maybe you can find someone by placing an add who might consider butchering your meat birds if they get some?

In the winter we usually have gallon jugs and use sled to take water everywhere, we use those gallon sized cat litter jugs, you can tie twine on the handle of one and string it through the rest to carry when they're empty. Might take more trips but its a bit easier than carrying a 5 gallon bucket full.

I can't think of much to help for cooking..

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've known several people who sailed through chemotherapy with the assistance of a naturopathic doctor. There are things you can take that will help and it is even being done in some cancer clinics now. Also acupuncture will help deal with the side effects also, my sister in law swears by it.

You would do well to learn how to cope with your treatments with alternative medicine, that way you will have more energy for the farm. And chemo can really run your body down in many ways, this will help prevent that.

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
How big is your house? the only thing I can think of is to offer a room free in turn for chores around the farm?

I would seriously think of getting a freezer and making some make ahead meals--like casseroles, lasagna, etc. You can can any meat, but it will be saucy--like in a gravy type thing.

Since you have been thorugh this before, think of all the areas where it was difficult last time., and prepare for that. For me--I would --every time I cooked, made double or triple, and froze the leftovers.

You can look into once a month cooking.

Also--I dont know about your province, but here in Ontario--highschool students need to do community service before they graduate. Maybe you can talk to you local highschool and explain the situation, and see if you can get the students to come for their community service.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself though--the stress won't do you any good.
Hi, MTN. My house is very small and with DH's condition, he's not the easiest person to live with, so having a border probably wouldn't work out very well. Also, we're in a very remote, rural area. The closest town is a one-horse hole-in-the-wall and even that is half an hour away, so there's not much appeal to living out here.

I do have a small freezer and do definitely want to get another bigger one, but I'd still like to can as much as possible.

I like your idea of the once a month cooking. That's sort of what I was thinking and having stuff canned or frozen will make that even easier.

I don't have kids, well not human ones anyway :) , so I'm not too familiar with the school requirements here, but I've never heard of kids having to do community service. I think it's a great idea though! Even if it's not a requirement, I think I might still talk to the school. They do have a work experience program so maybe I can get some help that way. I do love to pass on my love of animals.

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Do you have a pressure canner? I have had a great time this past year making and eating one-jar or two-jar meals. I am planning ahead to help my folks out. They live far away, so when I go there, there is not as much time to get everything done as I would like. As they get older, there is more of a need for these types of meals, even now, on days when mom is too tired to cook.

So what I've done so far might give you some ideas:

Canned soups, a little on the concentrated side, meaning more food and less broth for a hearty soup or stew. Pints for individual meal and quarts to share with dh, with a sandwich or even just toast or crackers. Or cooked leftover rice or pasta can be added when heating it up to stretch it. I've done chicken soup, bean and ham soup, and beef stew. I find that carrots, turnips or rutabagas, and collard greens hold up well in the pressure canner.

Chili with lots of shredded veggies in it (carrots, green beans, and spinach).

Beef chunks to add to things, and "meatloaf" which is really ground meat with onions and garlic and no binders. Makes a great sandwich, or eaten as a main meat in the meal, or can be chopped a bit and added to spaghetti sauce and such.

Spaghetti sauce, plain and with meat added.

Beans, which dh loves to add to other things he is eating. I like to mash black beans and make burritos and dip for nachos. They are a fraction of the price of store bought canned beans, and you can make them sodium-free and preservative free. Very handy when making a soup from scratch, too.

That's all I can think of now, but it sure helped free up the freezer for all the stuff that I don't like canned, like veggies that get mushy or don't taste right to me! And berries, and meats to bake or fry. Made a huge difference this past winter.
Free, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks so much! Care to share some detailed recipes? I've never used a pressure canner and to be honest, they scare me a little, but I'm definitely going to get one and learn to use it because I know you can't can things like meat, etc. without one.

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Amos said:
I'm not sure how many animals you end up feeding or watering, but I've seen people attach a pipe or rain gutter pieces on the fence so you can pour the feed/water in that and it'll run down into the feeders - that could help when you're back or arms hurt too much to lift the pails over.

Maybe you can find someone by placing an add who might consider butchering your meat birds if they get some?

In the winter we usually have gallon jugs and use sled to take water everywhere, we use those gallon sized cat litter jugs, you can tie twine on the handle of one and string it through the rest to carry when they're empty. Might take more trips but its a bit easier than carrying a 5 gallon bucket full.

I can't think of much to help for cooking..
We have upwards of 50 goats over the winter. I do use the pipe idea in summer but with our bitterly cold winters, that doesn't work too well once the cold settles in. I do like the one gallon jug idea, if I can make it work with this many critters. We use a 50 gallon trough for the main barn yard and it needs to be filled at least every two days in winter. In late winter when the does are gearing up for kidding, that jumps way up and in summer, we usually have to fill it twice a day. I still think your idea of smaller containers on a sled will work, though. I'll just have to play with it. Thanks for the idea.

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mackay said:
I've known several people who sailed through chemotherapy with the assistance of a naturopathic doctor. There are things you can take that will help and it is even being done in some cancer clinics now. Also acupuncture will help deal with the side effects also, my sister in law swears by it.

You would do well to learn how to cope with your treatments with alternative medicine, that way you will have more energy for the farm. And chemo can really run your body down in many ways, this will help prevent that.
Believe me, it's really shocking how many different ways chemo affects a person. Last time, I had very little problem with nausea, which is what most people think of when the think about the side effects of chemo. They have very good medications for that now. If I had to describe the overall feeling during chemo, it was like having the flu for 5 1/2 months. There were days when just getting from the bedroom to the living room felt like a 40 mile hike uphill in full battle gear (which, BTW, I have done). I really do want to look into some complimentary treatments for the tiredness, the muscle weakness (chemo robs the body of calcium), etc. but I am leery of combining alternative medicine with the mainstream treatment regimen. Natural medicine may be natural, but it is still medicine and there can be conflicts.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Oops, should have read your signature! 50 goats is alot! We only have 10, so thats quite the difference in water.. :lol: