thanks to modern_pioneer .......

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
..............I'm gonna grow me some taters this year!! :)

IMG_6215.jpg

IMG_6216.jpg

not pretty and for sure not perfectly round, but it'll work, hopefully. I still have to secure the wire to the t-posts, but I had all this stuff on my property from the previous owner, so it was all free.

OH, and check out what I found when I uncovered one of my raised beds. I think it's a strawberry plant.... not sure.
IMG_6214.jpg

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Oooo! Thanks for the reminder about the potato barrels! We're going to make some this year too. :cool:

newmochick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wait a minute - where is your snow????? Don't tell me you are 1% of the country with no snow??????:)

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
actually, we're supposed to get some more "weather" come in this week-end until toward the middle of next week. not sure if more snow or not, but much colder.

It was 61 today, but gonna be a bit cooler tomorrow. I wanted to get as much pre-gardening stuff done as possible.

I'll try and save this little strawberry plant by putting a bucket or something over it at night and when it gets cold.

Mr Modern Pioneer :) , question.
when you said 12 potato starters, did you mean per layer or for the entire cage? I got some more soil on top of what you see in the pic above. I was going to put compost on top of that, then the starters and cover with soil, is that right? oh, my first layer after the black plastic was a layer of straw. I thought it would give it more drainage.
I'm such a newbie!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You could put a cloche over it. :) Depending where you are in OK, you and I have the same "zone". I still find that amazing. :p

I have my potato "cage" ready to go too.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
You could put a cloche over it. :) Depending where you are in OK, you and I have the same "zone". I still find that amazing. :p

I have my potato "cage" ready to go too.
um..... what a "cloche"???

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Depending on the size of your cage and what you can fit in it. I try to keep them 8-10 inches apart. If you over crowd them, like any plant, you won't get as much fruit or lots of little wee ones.

Also, just on a second thought, might tie some rope/string in these ares for future support. (I used your pic to show you)

IMG_6216a.jpg

I like German Butterball taters. :drool

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
..............I'm gonna grow me some taters this year!! :)

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu36/Okiemedley/IMG_6215.jpg

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu36/Okiemedley/IMG_6216.jpg
not pretty and for sure not perfectly round, but it'll work, hopefully. I still have to secure the wire to the t-posts, but I had all this stuff on my property from the previous owner, so it was all free.

OH, and check out what I found when I uncovered one of my raised beds. I think it's a strawberry plant.... not sure.
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu36/Okiemedley/IMG_6214.jpg
Not a Strawberry Plant. They have leaves in sets of three and a center crown.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Not a strawberry. Looks more like a hollyhock.

Latest posts