Thanksgiving dinner (vegetarian and not)

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
I going to have to learn to make setan, because around here is is very expensive to buy. I think I will start with the gluten flour, but the recipe for the roast sounds great! I don't have that cookbook, I will have to hunt for one and suprise DH with a "thank you so much for getting this for me"! :lol:

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As far as the seitan in the store goes, it's generally only sold in smaller pieces, so making it into a big roast would probably not be possible, though your health food store may vary.

Health food stores also generally sell seitan mixes, basically "just add water" kits for making seitan at home. If you're feeling intimidated by making it yourself (it IS pretty darn weird to do) the kit might be a way to go... I don't think they're very expensive.

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think the cookbook author actually suggests buying something called "Seitan Quick Mix" for the easy solution. It sounds like it's a "just add water" type of mix and you get a doughy substance that you can then roll out into whatever shape you need. I guess Arrowhead Mills makes a seitan quick mix. I've seen Arrowhead Mills products around here, hopefully I'll find the mix! It is a rather involved recipe, but oh well, it sounds like a fun one! If it doesn't come out looking too funny, I'll post a picture. Oh, and I do recommend the recipe book. Don't be scared off by this huge recipe, it's probably the most complicated one in the book. I got the book for $10 at one of the big box bookstores.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
You're right, she suggests using either. I missed that in the intro. I've never tried seitan period.
Scotty is right. Our co-op only sells it in small pieces; I asked my dad. But I bet they have the mix! I'm going to look tomorrow. I'll have to do a trial run before the holiday. I'd hate to make it then not like it!