Thanksgiving dinner (vegetarian and not)

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Henrietta23: Hmmmm, just grabbed MY copy of Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker and there it was! Looks like a definite contenter! I haven't tried seitan before. Maybe it's time.
You have the same book! I just love mine. Every Sunday since I bought it I've made a recipe from it and my husband and I have loved every single recipe!

sufficientforme, I'd be happy to post the recipe, but I'm at work, so I don't have the book available right now. I'll be sure to post it as soon as I can, unless Henrietta23 beats me to it!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
annmarie said:
Henrietta23: Hmmmm, just grabbed MY copy of Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker and there it was! Looks like a definite contenter! I haven't tried seitan before. Maybe it's time.
You have the same book! I just love mine. Every Sunday since I bought it I've made a recipe from it and my husband and I have loved every single recipe!

sufficientforme, I'd be happy to post the recipe, but I'm at work, so I don't have the book available right now. I'll be sure to post it as soon as I can, unless Henrietta23 beats me to it!
Here's the recipe:

Fresh From The Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson

Savory Stuffed Wheat-Meat Roast with Quick Mushroom Gravy

One 1-pound piece raw, unpoached seitan (separate recipe to follow)
1/2 cup tamari or other soy sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small yellow onion, minced
1/2 cup minced celery
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tespoon ground sage
6 cups 1/2 inch bread cubes
8 ounces cooked soy sausage, crumbled or coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
About 1/2 cup water
3/4 cup water combined with 1 tablespoon tamari or other soy sauce

1. In a zipper-top plastic bag marinate the raw seitan in the tamari or other soy sauce

1. In a zipper top plastic bag, marinate the raw seitan in the tamari for 30 minutes at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.

2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and celery, cover, and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the thyme and sage and remove from the heat.

3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cubed bread, sausage, parsley, salt, pepper, and onion mixture and mix well. Taste and then adjust seaonings, adding just enough of the water to moisten. Set aside.

4. Drain and pat dry the seitan, then roll it out with a rolling pin on a work surface to about 1/2 inch think. Spread the surface with the stuffing and roll it up. Tie with kitchen string if necessary.

5. Place the raost, seam side down, in a lightly oiled 6-quart ovel slow cooker. Pierce the roast with a fork in several places, the pour the water-and-tamari mixture over the roast. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.

6. Carefully remove the roast from the slow cooker and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Use a serrated knife to cut the roast into 1/2 inch-thick slices. Serve hot with the gravy

**I will post the gravy and seitan recipes in just a minute. I have a quick email to send. BBL

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Quick Mushroom Gravy
Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker
by Robin Robertson

2 cups water
1 cup coursely chopped white mushrooms
3 tablespoons tamari or other soy sauce
1 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon Gravy Master or other vegetarian browning liquid

1. In a small saucepan, combine the water, mushrooms, tamari, and thyme; season with salt and pepper to taste, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes to soften mushrooms.

2. Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Return the mixture to the saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, whisk in the cornstarch misture, and stir until the sauce thickens, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the Gravy Master. Taste to adjust seasonings. Serve hot.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Seitan from Scratch
Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker, etc.

1 large carrot, cut into 2 inch chunks
1 large yellow onion, quartered
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 cup tamari or other soy sauce
2 bay leaves
2 1/2 quarts plus 3 cups water, or more as needed
5 cups whole wheat flour (about 2 pounds)

1. Combine the carrot, onion, garlic, tamari, and bay leaves in a 6-quart slow cooker. Add 2 1/2 quarts water, cover, and trun the heat setting to High.

2. Place the four in a large bowl and add the remaining 3 cups water. Stir well to combine, adding a little more water if the dough is too dry. Turn the dough out onto a flat surface and knead until it is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place the dough back in the bowl and add enough warm water to cover. Let it rest for 20 minutes.

3. Place the bowl holding the dough and water in the sink. Knead the dough in the bowl until the water turns white. Drain the liquid , then cover with fresh water and knead again until the water in the bowl turns white. Repeat the process, using fresh water each time, until the water is almost clear. The dough should now be a smooth ball of wheat gluten, or raw seitan.

4. Deoending on how you plan to use it, leave the raw seitan whole or divide into 4 smaller pieces and add tot he simmering stock. Change the heat setting to Low, cover, and cook for 4 to 6 hours.

5. Remove the cooked seitan from the cooker and transfer to a baking sheet to cool. If you are not using the seitan right away, it can be stored submerged in its stock in the refrigerator in a tightly covered container for up to 5 days or frozen for several weeks.

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow! Thank you Henrietta23, you just saved me from a lot of typing!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
annmarie said:
Wow! Thank you Henrietta23, you just saved me from a lot of typing!
LOL, it was a lot!! But i had just enough time to deal with it before getting my son off the bus. :cool:
Man that seitan looks like a bit of work.....

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Neat looking recipe! Seems like a complicated way to make seitan, though... much easier to just start with "vital wheat gluten" instead of starting with whole wheat flour and purifying it many times until you have just the gluten. Then again, the method here would certainly be cheaper, so maybe worth a go.

Here's a recipe (with pictures!) I just found on the internet for the way I did it once before, starting with gluten:

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/cookingtipstools/ss/HowToSeitan.htm

Anyway, the roast looks excellent, just thought I'd toss out this somewhat more expensive but seemingly easier way to do that part. Good luck if any of you make this recipe! Looks yummy to me, and I eat turkey myself... but do like something creative. Sometimes turkey can be so boring.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Thanks Scotty! Our local food co-op sells seitan too. I'll have to check their prices to see if it's worth it make my own.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you so much, that sounds awesome! Now what do you suggest, I have never used seitan. Is the home made good, or should I just pick some up from the health food store? (if its even available in podunkville) Have you tried this yet :)
It sounds really good and I have all but two of the ingredients YAH!

I am pretty new to cooking vegetarian foods, Any other favorite recipes you would like to share that would satisfy the meat eaters at my house?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Here are a couple. I have done the lasagna many times--it's very hearty, healthy and delicious! I have not tried the curry yet, but it sure sounds yummy...

Eggplant-Pumpkin-Feta Lasagna
2 cups peeled and diced pumpkin
1 eggplant, sliced into rounds
5 tomatoes
1 pint cottage cheese
9 ounces crumbled feta cheese
1 cup pesto
2 eggs, beaten
salt and pepper to taste
15-ounce can tomato sauce
lasagna noodles
1-1/3 shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Roast pumpkin in oven until browned and tender, about 30 min. Fry eggplant in skillet, turning once, until charred and tender, 10-15 min. Halve tomatoes and place on baking sheet for last 15 min of pumpkin time. Cook until tender and wrinkly. In bowl, mix cottage cheese, feta, pesto, eggs, salt and pepper until well mixed. Fold roasted pumpkin into ricotta mixture. Spoon half of the tomato sauce into a 9x13 baking dish. Lay noodles over sauce. Arrange single layer of eggplant and top with half the cottage cheese mixture. Cover with more sheets of noodles. Arrange roasted tomatoes evenly over the sheets and spoon the remaining half of the cheese mixture over the tomatoes. Sprinkle with half the mozzarella. Top with remaining noodles. Pour remaining tomato sauce over all and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and parmesan. Bake at 350 for 30-40 min.

Vegetable CurryWisconsin State Journal
1 large onion, chopped
1 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, quartered
4 cups butternut squash, cut into 1 pieces
4 cups cauliflower florets
15 ounces rinsed chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1 pieces
14 ounces light coconut milk
cup flour
2-3 t red curry paste
1 cup frozen green peas
sour cream, optional for garnish
cilantro, optional for garnish

In a 4-quart slow cooker, place all vegetables except peas. Mix well. In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, flour and curry paste. Pour over vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until vegetables are tender. Stir in peas; cover and let stand 5 min. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro.