Thanksgiving~ What's on your menu?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Who is thinking about Thanksgiving??

I haven't found a good sale bird yet, but I am thinking about my menu.

What are you planning?

Low carbers, what is on your menu?

I will do the usual, turkey, mashed taters, gravy, stuffing, sauteed green beans in bacon fat :woot, broccoli casserole and a big ol green salad with chevre and pom seeds. I will just go easy on the taters and stuffing.

Gotta think about dessert, last year I think I made black bean cake :)

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My menu looks like yours except for the salad. And pie for dessert I guess.
We are staying home this year. And every year from now on. Yay! Not doing the huge extended family, all day travel required, kids crying in every corner, not enough room to breathe, makes you wanna drink heavily, all day dinner thing anymore :weee Mom and Dad and siblings are welcome to come to my house to hang out, but it's no big deal if they don't. My family is easy like that :love

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We'll have deep fried turkey, dressing, potato salad, deviled eggs, green bean casserole, homemade bread, mustard greens, cranberry sauce, and apple pie, brownies, and likely homemade ice cream. Then I won't cook supper for at least 3 days :lol: I like Thanksgiving, but what I really look forward to is a weeks worth of turkey sandwiches afterward. That is my favorite part, and even better is I am about the only one who eats leftover turkey sandwiches. After eating heavy on Thanksgiving day, I generally lose a couple pounds the week afterward with the turkey sandwich diet ;) I LOVE them. Wish we had turkey like that year round...but I don't want to get burned out on it either, so I refrain from cooking it so often as I'd like :)

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We're having Thanksgiving with my mom so that means the best d**m, really-made-from-scratch cornbread dressing you ever tasted and lots of it. I offered to bring the chicken broth for that ;) Also turkey, probably a small ham.

I'm going to make a green bean casserole with homemade cream of mushroom & onion topping, also mashed sweet potatoes.

Probably salad as well and I'm thinking about force feeding my mother a bite of my "yucky" roasted, garlicky, buttery Brussells sprouts that she has never tasted ;)

The black bean cake sounds perfect for dessert, DD has been begging me to make it. I still have a quart or two of blackberries for topping.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
Let see,

Gladys the thanksgiving EE (she'll be the first chicken I ever butchered)
Real Mashed Taters
Corn (that I canned earlier this year)
Stuffing of some sort
Mabey a Pie

The_Realistic_Optimist

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanksgiving this year is on our wedding anniversary, so for the first time DH and I have politely declined all invitations and are running away for a "coin toss road trip". Basically, we pack a bag with a couple of changes of clothes, get in the car. Drive to the interstate and flip a coin. Heads = east, Tails = west - then we go that way until we see something interesting or hit another interstate (2 tosses then - 1st to decide if we stay on the road we are on or get on the new road, 2nd is which way to go on the new road).

Great adventure. Last time, we ended up at Mount Rushmore and had a great time for 3 days in South Dakota.

If I were cooking though, here is my standard Thanksgiving menu.

A big pot of seafood gumbo with white rice - this is a starter/lunch so folks have something to keep them happy while the rest of the food cooks - usually everybody has a cup while watching football

Roasted turkey stuffed with fresh herbs and a whole lemon
Giblet gravy (I could do without the guts in my gravy, but my DH loves it)
2 pans of dressing - one made from my homemade whole wheat bread & herbs, the other one cornbread dressing
Roasted brussels sprouts or steamed broccoli
Green bean casserole
yellow squash casserole
Sweet potato souffle
Fresh mixed fruit
Fresh whole wheat dinner rolls
Pumpkin pie
Apple or Cherry pie (DD doesn't like pumpkin)
Fresh whipped cream

If my Dad is in attendance, he also brings a honey baked ham. This year being unusual, I cooked my DH a turkey a couple of weeks ago before leaving on a business trip so he could just feast on leftovers while I was gone. He will get another one in early Dec.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow. Every region and every family has different traditions.

We always have:
turkey stuffed with homemade bread dressing
mashed potatoes and gravy
canned cranberry sauce
brussel sprouts
peas
candied yams
creamed onions
and homemade pumpkin pie for dessert

sometimes we splurge and have mincemeat pie, but those jars of mincemeat are SO expensive, and I'm the one that loves it the best, and I certainly don't NEED the pie.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
Wow. Every region and every family has different traditions.

We always have:
turkey stuffed with homemade bread dressing
mashed potatoes and gravy
canned cranberry sauce
brussel sprouts
peas
candied yams
creamed onions
and homemade pumpkin pie for dessert

sometimes we splurge and have mincemeat pie, but those jars of mincemeat are SO expensive, and I'm the one that loves it the best, and I certainly don't NEED the pie.
:p I didn't know "cheap" was a region! :gig

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Please Sister Cheapskate, call it Frugalitarianism.

Edited to add, I totally read the above as RELIGION not region... Brain's not working right today... But I'm leaving it because it was kinda funny to me...

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Please Sister Cheapskate, call it Frugalitarianism.

Edited to add, I totally read the above as RELIGION not region... Brain's not working right today... But I'm leaving it because it was kinda funny to me...
:yuckyuck It was funny!