That's not a sweet pepper!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just need to vent a little...Doggone it! Took a big bite out of one of my beautiful Italian sweet peppers only to find out it's HOT. Really HOT! :somad The peppers look like the sweet Italians are supposed to, but they are pure fire. I have always been afraid of getting nursery stock that was labeled wrong. Of course they are growing like gangbusters :p

Hopefully there are still sweet peppers in stock at the greenhouse. I should have enough time to grow a few this season. I neeeeed my sweet peppers.

Anybody else have a garden surprise this year?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
No garden surprises so far but my hot peppers aren't doing so hot and I'm longing for them... trade ya! :p

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our biggest surprise is about 10 huge tomato plants growing in the old chicken run from roma and beefsteak toms we threw to the chickens last year. As well as about 40 billion sunflowers from the BOSS that was set out over the winter.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
LOL My garden beds are full of BOSS. It was in the shavings from the quail pen when I had them in doors. I just let them go and they look awesome.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
LOL they look awesome that is for sure, sadly they are in the pen the goats will be going into in the next couple weeks.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My best garden surprise was when I tried to grow BOSS on purpose and squirrels ate all of my plants but one. It grew an enormous flower with enormous and beautiful seeds. I had to stake that single flower for quite a while until it ripened. Then I cut it and set it to dry. A squirrel got to it and pulled out a half dozen seeds and then abandoned it.

Huh? A squirrel giving up???

I investigated by opening a seed....then another, then another, and another.....ALL the shells were completely empty!!!

Biology 101: You need pollenation to make fertile seeds! I had only one flower..... :rolleyes:

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
My dad had a pepper mix up back in the 70s. I was the one "lucky" enough to discover it. Ow!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Framing Fowl - give your peppers a spritz of epsom salt water - 1Tb. dissolved in a gallon of water. It has worked for me in the past.
Of course, that's only if the weather is cooperating ;)

Free - that sunflower story was so funny!
I love volunteer sunflowers! Ours attract yellow finches which are a hoot to watch, and they hardly make a dent in the seeds.
I have one volunteer tomato - could be any one of 12 varieties.

I went out and examined the peppers again and I have hope that not all 4 of those pepper plants are hot. One of them looks a bit different :fl

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
This was not really a garden surprise but a pepper surprise...

My hubby LOVES his peppers hot and not. He had a friend a few years back that had a garden with tons of different kinds. One day we were visiting and my hubby was munching on a basket of fresh peppers, puny bells, banana peppers and jalapenos. His "friend" slipped some habaneros into the basket tucked under and in with the puny bell peppers. Hubby took the bait. His pal laughed till he cried - meanwhile I thought my hubby's eyes would soon start to bleed! Nothing to drink in site, he ended up washing his mouth out with the hose!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I hate hot peppers - hubby loves 'em.

I think I cured him. I bought pepper plants at Auction knowing they were hot peppers.

These peppers are growing so great! and are so hot - even he can't eat them :gig

Latest posts