The Aquarium Chat Thread

doc_gonzo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hi all,

~gd, you crack me up! it'll take a few sips of Knob Creek to get that darn soapy taste out of my mouth. res ipsa loquitor

I spent the last 15 years of my career translating PhD talk to something a lab tech or even a bussiness major could understand.
a business major ?????:lol: i quit teaching over trying to teach biology to liberal arts majors.:he i would have gladly handed out C's if they promised not to show up.:gig but seriously you should try to find a 20 gal or 30 long and step back into the hobby, that way you only have to change 2 or 3 gallons of water a week. both these sizes are even conducive to live plants. just keep in mind 1-1.5 watts per gallon for low light plants and 2.5 -3 watts per gallon for more light needy plants. we can even hook you up with the plans for a cheap pop bottle co2 reactor that produces awsome results. a good local fish store is critical though, a mom and pop operation is ideal Petfarts is a baaaaad idea. plant wise we can hook you up with several online suppliers that rock, but you need to be able to find healthy well kept fish localy (online shipping of fish gets reeeaaaly expensive).

pinky, great tank i totaly understand about the "mechanics". we love the otto's they are a great clean-up crew, another great addition to a clean-up crew is the japonica shrimp, sorry, google it i'm not a linky kinda guy. the koi coloured veil angels are also quite beautiful!. that jellie tank will set you back big time, jellies dig cold water and chillers aren't cheap.

deb, if you like neon tetras you should check out cardinal tetras, they look very similar but in the cardinals the bright red stripe goes the length of their body and they get almost twice as big. and they also school so you still get that nice cloud efect.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Right now, I don't have a place for a tank. But when I do, I'll be coming on and asking you guys for advice. It's been too many years since I've had anything but the gold fish in my backyard pond. And, I don't do a thing for them! When I first set up the pond, I did everything you were supposed to do, but finally gave it up and just let them go. Last time I looked, I still had fish. (I just remembered Oscar Madison's fish tank.)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love tanks. Had them my whole life up til now. Had a wonderful 55 gallon octagon tank forever it seemed. The base was a beautiful piece of furniture actually, but toward the end I thought the maintenance was a pain. Plus we travel alot. broke it down and sold it.

Plan on getting my kid this:
196_aq.jpg

just a small 2 gallon from wallyworld. I always loved fish tanks and she has been begging and I think Grandma can handle this tank when we go on vacation :)