The Backyard Homestead

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I saw this book for the first time today, and I definitely must have it!!!!!!!!!

I just skimmed through it today, and after seeing the diagrams in this book on just how much food one can raise on 1/2 an acre, I feel a desperate need to re-organize my seven acres! I've never realized how wasteful I'm being with my land until I saw this book!

I'm on a new SS mission...to utilize as much of my property for food as possible...it's my new goal for this year....

I've decided to build a check list of things to have accomplished for my 7 acres...granted, these won't all happen this year, but I'm off to a good start....so I am going to have to sit myself down and lay out a plan....

The book showed layouts for meat, vegetables, honey, etc....

Soooo....

Chickens for meat and eggs....check....
Rabbits for meat....check
Cows for beef...check
Goats for Meat and dairy......check

Raised beds....have one...would like to build more....
Bee Hives....definitely going to look into this!
Herb garden....not yet
Vegetables....some planted, more to go
Nuts....black walnuts, but that's it.
Fruit....have cherry, apple, pear, plum, and peach....check

Would like to build a pond, stock it with fish...there's another food source! Wouldn't mind if cattails grew up either, as you can grind cattails into flour for cooking...

I'm really ready to own this book and start utilizing my property as much as possible!! I noticed that the diagrams didn't give a "play area" for children, so I'll have to modify to keep the swing set fit into the yard LOL!

If you can grow all the food your family needs to survive, including meats, on just 1/2 an acre, imagine what we could be growing on 7 acres!!!!!!!!!!!

edited for typo.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I have this book. It is pretty neat. I like Country Life: A Handbook for Realists and Dreamers by Paul Heiney better, though.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
AH, so now there's another book I'll have to look into!! :p

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I'M GETTING IT!!!!!!!

My Nephew found it on Amazon.com for $12.89 SHIPPED!!!

It should be here in 5 business days!!!

:celebrate :weee :ya

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
tamlynn said:
I WISH I had a half an acre. :(
The book doesn't deal with just half an acre! It shows a person how to plan out your lot and grow as much food on a lot as possible! I think it said 1/10th an acre???

Anyway, it made me think even if you are in town, you can plant FOOD...all over! And you can put a pair of meat rabbits in a hutch in your backyard for meat...even if you live in a town where you can't have any hens (they put 6 hens on 1/10 an acre in the book), you can still raise meat rabbits. You only need a buck and a doe, have 2 litters a year (or more if you aren't worried about giving the doe a rest)....skin those critters out and eat!! :)

I've talked non-stop about how I'm going to do away with my flower beds and turn them into herb gardens. DH has been shaking his head at me..."You realize how much work all that will be? All the weeding you'll have?" Um, yep, and it will be soooo worth it! And I've got 5 kids! I can teach all of them, right down to the youngest, on how to pull weeds, plant, and harvest!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
keljonma said:
I have this book. It is pretty neat. I like Country Life: A Handbook for Realists and Dreamers by Paul Heiney better, though.
I got everything you sent!! ;) I found myself a 3 ring binder and I am going to be printing the chapters and putting them in the binder this week.

Thank you so much for sharing with me!! :D

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I talked to my DH about possibly getting meat rabbits. His response, "to eat?" Well, yes, honey to eat. I told him I'd probably have to take them to have them processed. I don't know how to do it myself and would worry about whether I was doing it right and whether I could do it at all. Back to DH, he doesn't like my ideas of raising animals for meat at all. He doesn't like anything that sounds like farming at all either because in his mind it is work.