The bean thing

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Store what you eat .... eat what you store. If you can't find a way to enjoy them , store other things . They are a common storage item because they are an inexpensive source of protein but worthless if you won't use them :)

Wifezilla , dried beans and cole crops can slow the thyroid too and cause hypothyroidism/ goiter if eaten in large quantities . I know because I eat them in mass quantities on purpose to control my HYPERthyroidism

ETA (Oh and peanuts too ! Weirdest thing, before I was diagnosed with Graves Hyperthyroidism , I was craving peanuts like a crazy woman, I'm talking I would eat two bowls of shell on peanuts in the evening and peanut butter toast every morning, couldnt get enough. Come to find out , my craving appeared to be to be my body asking for what it needed to slow that sucker down, because I later found out it was a thyroid inhibiting food. Once I got my thyroid levels under control , I no longer craved them. )

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Have been using the "but it will cause a goiter" argument for many years. Don't care for most greens, and boy does it work for me !!!

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
sweetcorn said:
Store what you eat .... eat what you store. If you can't find a way to enjoy them , store other things . They are a common storage item because they are an inexpensive source of protein but worthless if you won't use them :)

Wifezilla , dried beans and cole crops can slow the thyroid too and cause hypothyroidism/ goiter if eaten in large quantities . I know because I eat them in mass quantities on purpose to control my HYPERthyroidism.
Yes I agree if not eaten then they are worthless, but before I give up I will have to try some of these recipes first because I am looking for a protein filler.

I also had to look up cole crops only to find out they include; brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, collards, kale, kohlrabi, mustard, broccoli, turnips and watercress.

I eat most of those in the list but have not seen "collards or kale" so don't really know what they are, also since moving to Kentucky recently I have finally seen a plate of grits and fritters in real life, thought they were only something aunt Bea made on Mayberry RFD.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Collards and kale are more of a cool weather crop, so I would think in Kentucky you will see them in the early spring. I LOVE collards.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Have you tried the fritters & grits? I'm a big fan of grits. Fry up some bacon & pour the grease into the grits before you cook em. Then crumble the bacon into the grits when they're done. Yum!
Plus, you can store the base for fritters & grits long term. Corn stores very well. And fresh ground cornmeal... Mmmmm

Kale is delish too. Saute in some butter & olive oil, with onions & garlic, add a little salt & pepper. I'm not too keen on collards, the mustardy flavor isn't to my liking.

Stupid question: Have you looked into dried meat? Hamburger rocks, jerky, potted meats? Those are things I've been steering towards from other remarks on this site.

Beans, though. I didn't like cooking dried beans before I did a little research. They always turned out tough or mushy, and the gastric effects were out of this world. Then I learned about the long soak method and let me tell you. Properly prepared dried beans are delicious and they don't cause outrageous amounts of gas. I like the bean paste freemotion mentioned. You can sneak beans into a lot of dishes with no one the wiser. Also, you can mix black beans, tomatoes, beef or chicken, rice & cheese with cilantro, cumin & garlic. Stuff that into a buritto or pita, or just eat it out of a bowl. Mmmm

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Mackay said:
Dace said:
HOWEVER, as someone else pointed out they make a very good and healthy dip and can be flavored how ever you like. The basic mix is a beans, a few cloves garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and tahini (sesame paste) and salt. You can add roasted pepper, fresh jalapeo and cilantro, basil, olives, etc
I am a humus connoisseur and after eating for many years I have given up on garbanzos. I make my humus now with white beans, or navy beans, (which are white) they are cheaper and produce a lot lot less gas and no one can tell the difference.

Also, cumin is a great spice to add to humus.
I have made it with white beans before and no one had any idea.
So bottom line, white beans are cheaper? Anyone know (Free??) how the nutrition compares?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Wifezilla , dried beans and cole crops can slow the thyroid too and cause hypothyroidism/ goiter if eaten in large quantities . I know because I eat them in mass quantities on purpose to control my HYPERthyroidism
Yup. That is why I don't eat them often. They are more of an emergency food for me. If I am living on a lot of beans, I have way more problems that would take priority over a slow thyroid :p

Stupid question: Have you looked into dried meat? Hamburger rocks, jerky, potted meats? Those are things I've been steering towards from other remarks on this site.
A stash of dried meat and good fat will give you all the nutrition you need. The rest is taste bud entertainment :D

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Chickens, both directly and for eggs, are an excellent stored protein source -- stored 'on the hoof' that is :)

And even though they won't do as well free ranging as if you were feeding them a good balanced purpose-mixed feed, they will still give you SOME protein that way (albeit the possible need for stored feed for wintertime of course). Thereby converting things you can't eat or don't contain enough protein to be useful to you, like bugs and weeds, into eggs and meat that you can do quite well on :)

And of course chicken is good cooked with beans, too <vbg>

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
If you are going to try cooking your own dried beans, make sure you don't boil them in hard water. They will never really soften, and the flavor isn't nearly as good. We have VERY hard water and I have to use distilled water to cook beans in.

Will you be using solar heat in the winter? What about a woodstove? They are great for cooking beans on.

And as far as OD-ing on beans, anything in excess would cause health problems. Everything in moderation!