The Benefits Of Using Peroxide

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
A friend posted this on FB:

"The Benefits Of Peroxide

My friend who is married to a doctor was over recently for coffee and smelled the bleach, I was using to clean my toilet and counter tops.

This is what she told me.
'I would like to tell you of the benefits of that plain little ole bottle of 3% peroxide you can get for under $1.00 at any drugstore. What does bleach cost?
My husband has been in the medical field for over 36 years, and most doctors don't tell you about peroxide.
Have you ever smelled bleach in a doctor's office? NO!!! Why? Because it smells, and it is not healthy!
Ask the nurses who work in the doctor's offices, and ask them if they use bleach at home. They are wiser and know better!
Did you also know bleach was invented in the late '40s? It's chlorine, folks! And it was used to kill our troops.
Peroxide was invented during WWI.. It was used to save and help cleanse the needs of our troops and hospitals.

Please think about this:

1. Take one capful of hydrogen peroxide (the little white cap that comes with the bottle) and hold in your mouth for 10 minutes daily, then spit it out. (I do it when I bathe.) No more canker sores, and your teeth will be whiter without expensive pastes. Use it instead of mouthwash.

2. Let your toothbrushes soak in a cup of peroxide to keep them free of germs.

3. Clean your counters and table tops with peroxide to kill germs and leave a fresh smell. Simply put a little on your dishrag when you wipe, or spray it on the counters.

4. After rinsing off your wooden cutting board, pour peroxide on it to kill salmonella and other bacteria.

5. I had fungus on my feet for years until I sprayed a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and water on them (especially the toes) every night and let dry.

6. Soak any infections or cuts in 3% peroxide for five to 10 minutes several times a day. My husband has seen gangrene that would not heal with any medicine but was healed by soaking in peroxide.

7. Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and water and keep it in every bathroom to disinfect without harming your septic system like bleach or most other disinfectants will.

8. Tilt your head back and spray into nostrils with your 50/50 mixture whenever you have a cold or plugged sinus. It will bubble and help to kill the bacteria. Hold for a few minutes, and then blow your nose into a tissue.

9. If you have a terrible toothache and cannot get to a dentist right away, put a capful of 3% peroxide into your mouth and hold it for 10 minutes several times a day. The pain will lessen greatly.

10. And of course, if you like a natural look to your hair, spray the 50/50 solution on your wet hair after a shower and comb it through. You will not have the peroxide-burnt blonde hair like the hair dye packages but more natural highlights if your hair is a light brown, reddish, or dirty blonde. It also lightens gradually, so it's not a drastic change.

11. Put half a bottle of peroxide in your bath to help get rid of boils, fungus, or other skin infections.

12. You can also add a cup of peroxide instead of bleach to a load of whites in your laundry to whiten them. If there is blood on clothing, pour it directly on the soiled spot. Let it sit for a minute, then rub it and rinse with cold water. Repeat if necessary.

13. I use peroxide to clean my mirrors. There is no smearing, which is why I love it so much for this.

14. Another place it's great is in the bathroom, if someone has been careless, has peed on the floor around the toilet, and it's begun to smell of urine. Just put some peroxide in a spray bottle spray. In the blink of an eye all the smell will be gone and the bacteria eliminated!

I could go on and on. It is a little brown bottle no home should be without! With prices of most necessities rising, I'm glad there's a way to save tons of money in such a simple, healthy manner!

This information really woke me up. I hope you gain something from it, too.

Pass it on! Clorox v/s peroxide VERY interesting and inexpensive."

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
While peroxide may be a good cleaning product, I warn against it's regular use in wound treatment. It may be acceptable to use it to initially cleanse a dirty wound. BUT, medical personel advise strongly against it's regular use as a treatment for any type of open lesion b/c it kills new tissue. To my knowledge, it is NEVER used in dr's offices or residential care facilities to treat any open lesions.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Great article, Sumi!!

9. If you have a terrible toothache and cannot get to a dentist right away, put a capful of 3% peroxide into your mouth and hold it for 10 minutes several times a day. The pain will lessen greatly.

This one...I'd advise against it if you have a cavity or the infection invades the nerve. H2O2 will send you to the moon if it hits that nerve!! Ask me how I know.... :ep :confused: :(

While peroxide may be a good cleaning product, I warn against it's regular use in wound treatment. It may be acceptable to use it to initially cleanse a dirty wound. BUT, medical personel advise strongly against it's regular use as a treatment for any type of open lesion b/c it kills new tissue. To my knowledge, it is NEVER used in dr's offices or residential care facilities to treat any open lesions.

Agreed, it's never used and new studies have shown it debrides/disrupts the fresh and healing wound bed...or does it, really? They have started getting away from using wise conventional things like that and I suspicion it's due more to the fact that it's cheap and very effective, where as the expensive things they are trying to sell are rarely as effective as the old timey things.

I've dealt with many, many chronic, supperating wounds that wouldn't heal and stunk to high heaven using all the recommended cleansers, topical treatments and dressings that supposedly debride the wound bed and promote healing...and none of those were as effective as when we used to use Dakin's solution, peroxide, iodine, etc. Wounds actually used to heal then and not ooze and stink so bad it takes your breath away.

Old Dr. Pol still uses it to flush deep, pocketing wounds and recommends it for continued flushing of the same throughout the healing process. ;) A wound on an animal is the same as the wound on a person, so he's on the right track. The old, time proven track.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
So, let me be sure I'm understanding what you're saying: Peroxide as a continued wound flush supports rather than disrupts healing???? What are the contents of Dakin's solution? And what percentage of peroxide would you use, how often? Say a wound that goes through all tissue layers, but does not appear to be entering body cavity.

Dakin's is a bleach solution! :gig Watered down, of course. ;) https://www.woundsource.com/product/dakins-solution-quarter-strength-0125

The same percentage of H2O2 you find in the bottle when you buy it is perfectly fine for wounds. Some advise to water it down but we never did.

Here's a government study on it...says H2O2 oxidizes the wound bed, promoting quicker healing. ;) Something folks already knew but are being talked out of by the very people who make money off you if it doesn't heal. o_O

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28384636

Did you know they even use a version of H2O2 via an IV as a chelating agent? Few other such agents work as well.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom's a bit paranoid about peroxide. She's a beautician and the 10% stuff they use on hair can burn you if not used carefully.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
another thing about chlorine... when you ingest it (as in chlorinated water, bleached flour salt and sugar, and the bleach they use in restaurants on your salad greens so you don't realize how old they are) chlorine and bromine attach to the same receptors in the body that iodine does. In other words, the more chlorine and bromine (present, among other things, in many commercial sodas) in your diet, the less iodine your body gets, because it's being blocked by the others. Iodine is one of the harder nutrients to get in your diet unless you have access to ocean products. Land based foods only contain iodine if there is iodine present in the soil (not a given).

Latest posts