the best most versitile value in a grain mill?

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been looking at grain mills,

don't want to spend to much
but want versitilty in what I can grind
and versitilty in how it can be run

(hand or electric)

do you have a mill like that that you have been using and would like to recommend?

or if you would like to talk me out of my parameters that is fine too,lol

now I do have a kitchenaide mixer a new one that is supposed to have all metal components in side, it looks like grinding is just hard them so I don't think I will get the attatchment that goes with it...unless you can tell my why I should, lol

thanks so much!

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I also would like to hear about the kitchenaid mixer attachment. I just bought a kitchenaid for DW and have been considering ther grainmill for it

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought the Family Grain Mill - http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/family_grain_mills.aspx - some months ago, and have been quite pleased with it. I don't bake every week, so it doesn't get a lot of work yet, but will probably get more this winter. I find that it grinds from quite fine to coarse without much trouble; a number of reviews I read said that for fine grind you need to send it through twice, but this has not (for the most part) been my experience. I did have some trouble (and needed to grind twice) with some rye, but I think that was because I had soaked and dried the rye berries, and, though dry, they still seemed to gum up the works a bit. So I ground them coarsely, and then sent them through again on a finer setting. I also got the adaptor to use the mill with my Kitchenaid mixer, but have not been happy with that. I've only used it twice, and both times the mill clogged up, and I had to take it apart (not difficult) to clean it out. I ended up, both times, finishing the grinding by hand. I'm not sure why simply using electricity should make this difference, though now that I think of it at least once I was using the soaked, though dried, rye. I hesitated to buy a mill because I wasn't sure how much use it would get, and even the cheaper ones are expensive. But I would recommend this one if you don't have the wish to spend several hundred on one of the high end ones.

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
oh thankyou, I have been looking into that one, but didn't know anyone who had one...don't actually know anyone who grinds their own grain...lol

okiemomof3

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have the Nutrimill and i LOVE it. I am looking into getting a non-electric one to have on hand, just in case. I love the Nutrimill because it makes NO Mess and is not super loud either.

You need to look at a few things:

how often do you plan on using it
do you mind a floury/dusty mess
how many different types of things are you wanting to mill? just wheat berries, or do you want to mill bean flour, oat flour, etc?
how much flour to you want to mill at one time?

Mine sits on my butler's pantry counter all the time, i use it 3-4 times a week. it can grind up to 20 cups of flour at a time into a self contained container.

It will not be broken if the power supply gets interupted during grinding, with grain still going through - This is a BIG PLUS in my book.

i mill almost anything but nuts, because they are too oily.

it has a great diversity of texture, so i can get some really good corn meal for cornbread along with some really fine flour for bread making.