The Buy Nothing Project

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we don't usually have any trouble growing pickles reliably here, we used to grow the large Burpee kind but decided we don't really like them so we just grow a smaller pickling cucumber that is very productive. the problem is that they do take up a fair amount of space as they sprawl. i'm hoping this year we don't plant so many. my brother is our largest pickle eater so this coming year we may downsize enough if he decides he doesn't want pickles any more. already we've stopped doing a lot of Bread and Butter pickles because he can't have those any longer so we've only put up a dozen pints of those for our own cooking (Mom uses them as part of her sweet and sour meatball recipe).

these grow for us through the entire summer no matter how hot or dry it gets as long as we keep them watered. the bugs don't seem to bother them much either. i love seeing all the native bees and the bigger bumblebees working on the flowers. i may continue growing some just for that reason alone, but we do like to eat some fresh cucumbers and make some salads with them.

4-5 5 gallon buckets every 5-7 days though is way more than i want to scrub or put up. we gave so many away last year nobody wanted them by the end of the summer. i was ready to pull the plants out by the end of July. i could have had a whole nother pea crop or bean crop in that space!
I wonder what you guys are doing. I hope your project is doing great. I really wanna join you guys. Hope to hear from you soon.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wonder what you guys are doing. I hope your project is doing great. I really wanna join you guys. Hope to hear from you soon.

waiting for spring. should start seeing some spring flowers soon if this warmer weather and sunshine keeps up.

we won't be growing as many cucumbers this year due to family circumstances changing. our main pickle eater can't eat them any more.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
waiting for spring. should start seeing some spring flowers soon if this warmer weather and sunshine keeps up.

we won't be growing as many cucumbers this year due to family circumstances changing. our main pickle eater can't eat them any more.
Aside from staying home because of the pandemic, I'm planning to build a hamster home, I will try to house 3 to 4 pairs, and see what goes on.