The city garbage company just took our recycling bin!!!

Brelansmama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have been part of a private garbage co-op for 3 yrs, and the city has been happily picking up our recycling for free all these years........until this morning! We woke up to a city worker stealing our big recycling bin!!
My husband went out and asked if there was something he could help this man with, and he said we don't pay for garbage service, so we don't get recycling service.
I AM SOOO BUMMED!!!
I am not willing to just throw away all my recycling, so now I have to separate it all, and haul it to the recycling center myself. :tongue :rant
I guess I have no real question or anything, I just needed to vent!
We save SO MUCH money on the co-op(we pay $17 every 6-8 weeks, when it is our turn to haul the garbage for the co-op), I' sure we are still saving more if we haul our recycling, rather than letting the city pick it up for a fee.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
So... He took your recyclables and threw them into the trash??? Crazy!!

We have to haul our own garbage, and recyclables. In the winter--we only haul maybe once a month/two months. We burn all our paper, have a big garbage pail for glass, plastic, and the pop cans, we save and turn those into the salvage yard. They pay well for aluminum. It takes a little getting used to, but we bring our recyclable to the same place we brign our garbage.

I'm sure you will work something out.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Where we live, we can take our recycling to the same place we take our trash. We take it at the same time and just have 4 trash containers for recycling (one for glass, one for cardboard, one for plastic and metal, and one for mixed paper -- which are the four separate types of recycling we have available). It really is not much more work for us to take the recycling in with the trash. I hope it is that easy for you too. We sort our recyclables as soon as we "produce" them, so it really isn't that much bother to sort it out.

Edited for clarity.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
We had curbside recycle pick up, then they decided the funds weren't there and placed a central giant bin for us to take the recycles to. This thing is rarely emptied and is frequently locked so no more can be added. Then they put a keep-out sign with yellow-keep out tape and cones around it so people don't place the recycles on the ground beside the bin. This is such a joke. :somad

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sylvie said:
We had curbside recycle pick up, then they decided the funds weren't there and placed a central giant bin for us to take the recycles to. This thing is rarely emptied and is frequently locked so no more can be added. Then they put a keep-out sign with yellow-keep out tape and cones around it so people don't place the recycles on the ground beside the bin. This is such a joke. :somad
Oh but it looks good on paper. The city has a recycling system. :lol:

solarkate

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wow. People like that are the ones that crap-up the planet. They just want to make more money.