"the colony" show on discovery channel ?

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
okay so I was just watching the new series the colony on discovery channel and it got me wondering what all of you thought of this?

Pretty much it is a reality based type thing that is in the setting of when the world as we know is gone. They took a group of people put them in an urban mostly abandoned setting and said survive any way you can.

I think it has some really good points about how when it is you or the other guy making it what are you willing to do that under normal circumstances would you never even think of doing. Such as stealing from other encampments of survivors. And working with people in your encampment that normally would rub you the wrong way to the point where you told them to go jump off a bridge some wheres.

The urban setting scares the hell out of me to be honest, to me that would only be feasible for short periods of time. Certainly with other survivors out there fighting for the same nonrenewable resources in that urban area. A can admit that I myself would be far more comfortable in a woodland or farmland setting that you had a chance to find clean water, grow more food as well as harvest wild foods. Then in a concrete jungle where all there was for you to harvest was what you can steal from what use to be the local grocery store.

Any way to you that have seen the program what are your thoughts about it? And what thoughts or questions other then about the show in particular does the program stir in you?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I seen the previews the day before it came out. Basically I usually think all reality shows are silly or stupid. I was kind of interested when I saw the preview but it was completely in the city. If you want to live over a year, you can't live in the middle of the city relying on canned foods. I agree, I would be out in the woods, not in the city with hungry crazy lunatics.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I saw it last week...did not see this weeks episode. Some of it seemed a little faked....like just so happening to have all of those batteries and an inverter.
The one guy, who acted like he was in charge, would get on my nerves quick! Add lack of sleep and people 'attacking' in the middle of the night I might just hurt him! LOL!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just watched it.

It did nothing for me at all. I am country so if all this happened, I wouldn't be in a city.

But it is staged of course. And look at the group of people. A handyman, carpenter, engineers, military guy, ER nurse---hmm...skill set for all major situations needed kinda.

All just faked----couple goats around, food laying around outside, way too much "stuff" left for them to use.

Me---my group would be a stripper, an accountant, a circus performer, a hair stylist.....----you get my drift. My group probably wouldn't have a survival skill set among them and we would all be dead within a week--LOL

The most you will get is human drama...and alot of people like to watch that big time...LOL

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
So.... Would you offer to sign up or not?

As a collective group, you and I, me or the OP, I'd ask you to put your skills to work. Could you do it?

Thats pretty big of you Amos, but could you do it?

I think we could, I will be happy to join nightsshade. I read that they offer 50k to each person that is part of the group, but as a group they must work together.

I also know that any person that wants to join the show must have at least 8 other folks that want to do it.

I'm GAME......

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
What is big of me?

I might have been quick to say that you can't live in the city off of canned goods, but it wouldn't be the greatest decision for me, put it that way.

I haven't even seen the show, only the previews so I don't know any of the guidelines, but I know it would be quite interesting to try it.

But wouldn't that be cool?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Atleast you would die with good hair! :lol:
:lol:
yea and I know they smell raunchy cause in the next episode they finally install a shower after 16 days of none....WOOF! LOL-LOL

I wouldn't sign up for a show....or any reality show for that fact.

As much as I love having fun and new experiences as the next person, that wouldn't be MY type of adventure. I just ain't into game shows and all that type of thing. But I am sure they have tons of people who want to do it.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I have no clue about this show, nor particularly any interest in seeing it, but I'd just like to comment that people CAN TOO survive in cities for reasonable periods of time (like, years) under conditions not too dissimilar to what you are discussing. Look at various cities around the world that have been afflicted with stupid warfare or majorly-armed anarchy for some years.

It is not pretty nor fun but then it isn't pretty or fun out in the country either, when things come to that.

Rainwater is harvested for drinking; much food can be grown on site to supplement whatever you have stored and whatever you can trade for (there will *always* be fearless and greedy souls willing to make commercial runs to places with more or different goods available); if there are a limited number of people around, sanitation does not require a working sewer system; etc. There are some significant advantages of being in a city or at least town (to partly counterbalance the disadvantages) -- you have readymade shelter of all sorts, some of which is likely to last a good long while with little or no work from you; and you have a near-infinite supply of replacement goods for which there often IS no good homemade substitute (machined mechanical parts, hardware such as screws, many purpose-specific tools and materials, comfortable durable-soled shoes, durable weatherproof clothing, medical supplies, etc). Of course how long you can hang in there this way depends mightily on climate, initial conditions, and who all is around with how much enthusiasm for takin' all your stuff. But the same applies anywhere else either.

Those who think they can defend a country or back-country property against all comers are, IMHO, exercising a lot of wishful thinking.

Again looking around the world and historically, the thing that has the best track record for surviving anarchy and severe shortages is people *banding together*, and *working with* other groups in the landscape as far as possible.

JMHO,

Pat