The ducks are just not taking a hint........

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I have had their door open yesterday and today. They will only go out if I force them out. Then they run back in. Any advice?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
leave them alone
they know what they want
leave the door open and walk away
all will be fine!

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can't speak for ducks but my new chickens all took at least a week before they figured out the whole going outside coming back inside thing. I bet they will figure it out with time.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
All I can tell you is that at 2+ years old, mine won't go in at night!!
I will probably eventually wish that theyd stay in.....

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ducks are more afraid of anything different than any other animal I have seen. It seems they really need to adjust to change slowly. I added outside access nesting boxes to my duck coop and they were terrified of going in there! It took them a few nights to adjust and they are still wary of them. I hope they are used to them by the time they start laying!

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ducks are easily trainable, and they do like habits. Just drive them out every morning (herd them out), and throw scratch grain when they can see you do it. Every morning, throw scratch out and they'll go out! At night, feed them in their house or night pen, or wherever you want them for night. Three days, and they'll be waiting for you each time.

Our problem at the moment is that it is 5 degrees out, with a wind chill down to -30, and our ducks WON'T go into a small shelter (can't afford to build a big one at the moment). They find a spot beside a building and huddle miserably there, feet in the snow. We tricked them today though - started putting hay bales around where they are huddling, to serve as a windbreak for them.

Laura

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
They finally went out and started the foraging. :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:
Ducks are more afraid of anything different than any other animal I have seen. It seems they really need to adjust to change slowly. I added outside access nesting boxes to my duck coop and they were terrified of going in there! It took them a few nights to adjust and they are still wary of them. I hope they are used to them by the time they start laying!
So, the ducks are chicken?