The Freeze-Drying Thread

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I made beef/veggie soup last night using dehydrated hamburger meat. Remember 'hamburger rocks' that was all the rage a couple years ago? I followed the directions and cooked, washed, dehydrated and stored some hamburger meat. But, I wussed out on leaving it in the pantry - so I vacuum bagged it and put it in the freezer. I used it in the soup last night and you'd never know it wasn't fresh meat after it was rehydrated. I'm thinking I'll do this again!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FD shrimp.jpg Today's Freeze Dryer Haul-- 1 lb of salad shrimp, 3 lbs of bigger shrimp, and about 1 lb of diced roasted turkey (leftover from Thanksgiving). Everything turned out light and crispy. I tried rehydrating and tasting the salad shrimp and they took less than 5 minutes to rehydrate and tasted just as good as fresh- great for shrimp salads!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know exactly, but I've not seen any large increase in our usage even when I have it going almost constantly.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Knock knock..... anybody there?

I've been freeze drying for a bit less than a year. Not constantly. Still much to learn. Was kind of hoping to find fellow freeze-dryers here. Though, there is a freeze-drying group I do frequent - it's always good to learn more
Might be able to talk me into it. A few years ago it DH and I backed out of buying a freeze dryer. But now freeze dried dog treats are a big thing and I don't want to admit how much I spend on them. I save them for special situations to try to keep the cost low(ish).

Sammster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Might be able to talk me into it. A few years ago it DH and I backed out of buying a freeze dryer. But now freeze dried dog treats are a big thing and I don't want to admit how much I spend on them. I save them for special situations to try to keep the cost low(ish).

Well... for sure, they'd do dog treats for you. But, unless you use it for a lot more ~ those would be some pretty "spendy" treats! 😉

On the other hand ~ yesterday, I included peas and corn in my freeze dryer load, just to make sure our Parrot always had access to them, if we should be unable to get them at the store. Of course ~ we grow peas in the summer. NONE of which I actually get. DH pampers her like she's wearing a crown! ...Little Miss Sassy Pants

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have no freeze dryer but, any thoughts on dehydrating zuc almost fully, mixing ingredients and baking into crackers???

They sound really good!!