The gas question?? Read into the crystalball!! HAHAHA!!

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
O.K so I was just sitting and thinking about gas prices. Since the news is not talking about it I guess it's not a real issue like it was months ago.. We are at 3.65 regular here in Deer Isle Maine. Last yr we were 2.65 at this time. Then in the spring the price was climbing fast and people were worried that the price might hit the 5.00 mark. From what I see and guess this spring might be the 5.00 a gallon yr. We are already seeing an increase in the price of oil this past month 93.00 a barrel right now. So I figure I will be the one to start the oil/gas fear panic. :barnie

BUELLER?? BUELLER?? :hu

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
THEFAN said:
So I figure I will be the one to start the oil/gas fear panic. :barnie
:lol: :ya

someone has to start the future panic situations, might as well be you right now :bun

eh, to me at this point, gas prices are what they are. I can't worry too much about it anymore. I did the 'oh crapp' panic thing and then realized, hey, if I drive I need gas and I have to pay X for it. Simple as that....but yea, it sure stinks in general.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well here im seeing gas prices in the 3.29-3.31 range seems to be normal...compared to ct its about 30cents lowr so im quite happy right now.

i dont like gas prices and do everything i can not to "encorage" them by combining trips into 1, going out only if i have to so i use as little gas as possible and fill up at the chepest place i can find along my route (i wont go miles out of my way for cheaper gas because i end up spending it on the extra milage)

if it continues climbing ill just have to get even smarter about fule usage...

unfotunatly though gas companies know they have us between a rock and a hard place, were so dependant on fule as a whole that even if its $10 a gallon most people will HAVE to pay it...people have to go to work, and the USA doesnt realy have avery good public transportation system outside of the big cities...
we can boycott all we want, but in the big picture unless we get some serious work going into breaking the big oil politician bond theres only so long we can sit in our homes saying "im not buying your gas!"

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well at least your consumption of gas can be controlled to some degree...make less tips into town, drive less, stay home...suppliment oil heating with wood.
But how it affects the food prices is what I worry about, we still have to eat!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea but Morel the food consumption can also be controlled. Grow more of your own and preserve more. Trade/barter/split whole meat processing with another person, you know that kind of thing. As prices go up it will be more on the transported items so eating more seasonal will definitely help cut back on that situation.

in general, we can control alot of our lives...key being, do ya want to? :lol: There are some things I am going to buy no matter what the cost (well, within reason)

StupidBird

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm looking at a moped to do errands into town (8 miles each way). But some teen driver just murdered a bicycle rider a block away last week. *sigh* It gets worse every year. My DS is considering a helmet camera just to show the police all the idiots every day. A motorcycle is all he can afford. Can my other DS (mr. gatech grad) build me a miniature nuclr power plant in my pick up truck? Mwahaha.

The garden gets bigger every year. Too bad my skills (and back) haven't improved at the same pace.

eta: well, look what's going on with pricing in euro! their utilities are horrendously high too.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We're at 3.73 and climbing. HMMM!! Only Feb too. :th I'm thinking 4.35 May 30th

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea we are climbing now also

$3.59 is highest so far around here
sucks

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I got it yesterday for 3.339. I didn't need it, but figured I'd top off the tank while I had the money rather than wait until I needed it, and not be able to fill up.

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
$3.59 for gas and $3.89 for diesel here. Only thing gas we have is a 4wheeler.

Gonna fill up both auxiliary tanks on each truck with tax$ while we can, and then just keep em topped off from there. Gonna be upwards of $1k to do that :/

I can recall 99cent a gallon gas when oil was $80-$90/bbl... it should still be like that now :barnie They know they can rape us w/the price, so they do :pop

If fuel hits $5/gal or more on the national average, I think we'll see a serious depression in an already struggling economy. Profit margins will decrease, again, and probably get to the point where its not worth it for many companies to stay in business.. remember the trucking company that shutdown several years ago, leaving drivers stranded all over the US w/no money, no paychecks, no transport home?

How many farms, be they Big Ag or smaller farms/CSA's rely on fuel for transport trucks, tractors and such to get crops dealt with, or cutting hay? What little beef producers make selling cattle to the feeder market will decrease even more, how many will simply shutdown, sell out, just to save thier property and families? Prices in the store will go up, as transportation costs rise and the dollar gets devalued even farther...

ok, I'll stop rambling. Too much thinking without enough coffee.