The Good, Bad and Ugly Cholesterol Results

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I did a search on the word cholesterol. I found many comments, but thought if we could condense all of your anecdotal knowledge into one thread for future reference, it would be helpful to current and future members. (and me).

68 yr old F, 40 lbs over nourished, healthy all my life. Until now....
CHO 270
HDL 75
LDL 168
Non LDL 195
Tri G 137
CHO/HDL ration 3.6

Recently diagnosed with EPI. (Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) is a condition in which your small intestine can't digest food completely because of problems with digestive enzymes from your pancreas.)

Supposed to transition to FODMAP diet (https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/fodmap-diet-what-you-need-to-know) to begin to learn what is triggering the EPI.

It seems to me, if I put all this what I can and cannot eat on an excel spreadsheet, with the heading of these three or four dietary/ lifestyle changes, and the rows of all the varied foods I eat, that it would be a rats nest. Would it be worth it?

Longevity is in my genes: Maternal Grandmother died at 100.5, Mom is going to be 93; Paternal Grands died in their late 80's and 90's. Except for my Daddy who died at 75, due to emphysema and cancer, nobody dies of anything but old age. Did they have it better, not knowing as much as we know now?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, no doubt the doctor gave you info on limiting all the tasty or sweet stuff.🫣 And the exercise/ weight benefits speech... Limit coffee and alcohol, stop smoking (if you do)......

Yep. These are facts and numbers we all need to know! It can have a serious effect on your heart. I should get check. Been maybe 25 yrs since last time. Overdue would be putting it mildly. :old :lol:
So i'll follow your journey... May call around for a check on my own. 👍

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Technically, receptionist can only give LIMITED info, otherwise it could be interpreted as "medical info" which she's probably not licensed for 🤷. Surprised at least the nurse didn't call.

Probably one of the reasons I haven't interviewed a new doctor. 😂 I should go get my FREE annual checkup with Medicare. They tell you to first yr for a baseline -- guess I'm only 12 yrs late -- then annually. Look at the $$ I've saved them!! :old

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
It seems to me, if I put all this what I can and cannot eat on an excel spreadsheet, with the heading of these three or four dietary/ lifestyle changes, and the rows of all the varied foods I eat, that it would be a rats nest. Would it be worth it?
Definitely do it! It's super helpful! Sometimes you can find templates online to borrow, but I haven't seen one with EPI included.

OTOH, it can be extremely frustrating. Pretty sure the only food left for me is ice cubes. :gig

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
If you can get an LDL particle size analysis (CARDIO IQ from Quest) that would give your more information if your cholesterol indicates increased risk.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Never heard of Quest :hu looked that up and there's a couple places about 40 miles out....I could get the test for cholesterol...$65. but first, I'll see what Dr is taking new medicare patients and get a full deal for FREE. Curiosity, & prove I'm still alive.

Then I'll wait for them to tell me I'm on deaths door except they can fix me with 10 RXs. :lol:. Ought to be a fun adventure. 🤣. I'd be shocked if this would be an annual event! But once every 25 yr is ok. 👍