The Gospel of Consumption

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This article is enough to make you about sick.

http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/2962

Here's a taste:

Our modern predicament is a case in point. By 2005 per capita household spending (in inflation-adjusted dollars) was twelve times what it had been in 1929, while per capita spending for durable goodsthe big stuff such as cars and applianceswas thirty-two times higher. Meanwhile, by 2000 the average married couple with children was working almost five hundred hours a year more than in 1979. And according to reports by the Federal Reserve Bank in 2004 and 2005, over 40 percent of American families spend more than they earn. The average household carries $18,654 in debt, not including home-mortgage debt, and the ratio of household debt to income is at record levels, having roughly doubled over the last two decades. We are quite literally working ourselves into a frenzy just so we can consume all that our machines can produce.

Yet we could work and spend a lot less and still live quite comfortably. By 1991 the amount of goods and services produced for each hour of labor was double what it had been in 1948. By 2006 that figure had risen another 30 percent. In other words, if as a society we made a collective decision to get by on the amount we produced and consumed seventeen years ago, we could cut back from the standard forty-hour week to 5.3 hours per dayor 2.7 hours if we were willing to return to the 1948 level. We were already the richest country on the planet in 1948 and most of the world has not yet caught up to where we were then.

Rather than realizing the enriched social life that Kelloggs vision offered us, we have impoverished our human communities with a form of materialism that leaves us in relative isolation from family, friends, and neighbors. We simply dont have time for them. Unlike our great-grandparents who passed the time, we spend it. An outside observer might conclude that we are in the grip of some strange curse, like a modern-day King Midas whose touch turns everything into a product built around a microchip.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Interesting to read the article in full.

the gospel of consumptionthe notion that people could be convinced that however much they have, it isnt enough.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
It's really sad, the fast paced life everyone lives now days. DH and I like just sitting and passing the time.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I only read the excerpt so I may be waaaaay off but I don't think it works like that- The cost of goods is always what they can sell for- if people in mass decided to work half the time they do now, and reduce their consumption of goods, that might work for a short time then the cost of the goods they really need to buy would start to rise. For example, if an manufacturer had to have twice as many workers to produce enough jeans to clothe every one, his cost for the two workers would not be the same as one worker doing twice as much. He would have costs that are per capita like health insurance or wor work space or payroll services or accounting that would still need to be paid. Therefore the cost of producing a pair of jeans goes up. Then the purchaser of the jeans increases what he charges in his work to meet the increase cost of the purchase of the jeans, etc.
Costs go down as production per person goes up until the production can be forced up any more.

But not purchasing things that only suck up life like video games or stilletto heels would mean that more could be spent on food and education. And more would be needed.
I think the cost of things in general always expends to limit of what people can pay.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Money makes the world go 'round.

This is true. We are based on this. So consumers can not stop buying (not that I think they will...lol)

Even if we stopped buying video games that would put alot of people out of work!

The system is super fragile. If money is not spent, the world stops.
Simple as that.

Can it be scaled back and controlled? YES
Should it be scaled back and controlled? YES for saving resources for the future.

Do we go overboard? YES
Can we go back to basics? Yes, but so hard for some people.

It is just neverending. You might save in one area, but spend more in another. If everyone saves and stops buying in one area, that type of market crashes.

Heck I don't know....I don't see a big win to this type of thing at all!!! Each person can just do what they can to live their life the way they want and to bear in mind we do need to leave something for the future generations. I mean, what else can we do?

Life will continue whether an IPOD is produced or not.....whether it is purchased or not---LOL

BUT yes people buy more and must work longer hours to have that stuff. We are seeing this constantly now and with these hard financial times my generation is getting a very rude awakening. Alot of people are scaling back....but.....when times are good, will they go back up to their old evil buying ways.....or learn?

Muuuaahahaha...who knows?

Me, I personally like to work less, so I buy less. Simple as that for me. I don't want to work my life away. So saving and buying less and being more SS means I can put that savings to my fun times!!!! Easy, breezy plan for me..HA HA

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Me, I personally like to work less, so I buy less. Simple as that for me. I don't want to work my life away. So saving and buying less and being more SS means I can put that savings to my fun times!!!! Easy, breezy plan for me..HA HA
FC - I'm with you. Unfortunately, I don't have the type of job where they will let me do that. But I have a Plan B that I'm working on so that I'm able to cut back on work & spend time doing what I want.

DH's work will let their full-timers lay off a couple of months in the summer, and for a while I felt like I had to defend him to people who implied that he was lazy to take time off every summer. There is the prevailing attitude in the US that you are your job. If you don't want to work work work for some big corporation, there's something wrong with you. At one point, I decided that work is work, and my life is my life. I do my job well, but I don't take it home with me.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
There has to be balance.
Unless you are one of the really fortunate people who loves what they do and would want to do it even if they didn't get paid, you have to engage in self-defense.
I went through a period where I worked 10-11 hours each day Monday through Friday and a few hours on Sunday. Then after quite awhile of doing this, I found I could not make myself go into work. The mind said go- the body said no. Real burn out
After that, I was much more balanced- some overtime when I wanted or needed it, but nothing more than that. It was much better. The work needing to be done always seemed to expand to fill what time I would put in so I never really got ahead anyway.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Just some random thoughts that are loosely related to the topic.

A few months ago while I was watching TV I saw one of those ubiquitous commercials urging me to buy smell good things to plug into my wall socket. I don't know why I was appalled but I was. Why do I need to buy something and plug it into my wall just to make my house smell good? What is wrong with a clean house and some potpourri? And then the waste of electricity.

After thinking about it briefly I got to wondering how many jobs did that plug in smell good thingy represent? Quite a few. But on the other hand maybe the people employed because of the plug in smell good thingy could find some sort of other work.

Appalled as we are with waste and consumerism they do create jobs. How transition to other work for those workers? I have no idea.

Like I said, just some random thoughts with no solutions.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
On the flip side, people would not NEED nearly as much in the way of jobs, and some new jobs would come into existance too (selling more food locally, and making/repairing things locally come to mind), if people did not feel compelled to spend so darn much money buying stuff.

I'm sorry, I don't buy the argument that we "have" to keep buying or the world will end. It didn't used to be that way, and I don't see that basic math has changed (although I will admit that a larger population is a legitimate 'twist'). It would be an unpleasant changeover, but then many things are unpleasant that are not necessarily *bad*. CHildbirth comes to mind :p but of course there are lotsa other examples too.

It's just a treadmill. We could get off. It's just that, at the moment, we (as a society I mean) choose not to.

Pat