The great broody experiment (new pics p 18)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
OK, here goes....I started leaving eggs in the two favorite nests, one of my four nest boxes and a spot they insist on using in the corner of the coop. Thank goodness they gave up on the goat's hay rack! Still find an egg now and then in the goat's stall or on a hay bale. Those I inspect and if they are perfect, I am putting them in one of the nests. The others I eat.

So there are 10 in one nest and 7 in the other, should get another 7-9 eggs tomorrow.

It is cool enough here still that I can gather up the eggs and use them if no one offers to hatch them.

Opinions? Brand-new territory for me! I have Buffs, Dominiques, one SL wyandotte, and some Americaunas. The Americaunas are almost 2 years old and the others are almost a year old.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Well, I don't have much experience with broody hens, but I just wanted to say goodluck with yours!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If they are kept cool and dry, eggs can do well outside the fridge for some time. They had a very good thread about that on BYC when I first joined, but I could never find it now. I think Pat had some good info on that thread and could tell you exactly how long they can last and still be good.

I read a true account once about an ocean voyage where they coated them with Vaseline and they kept for 2 months outside the fridge without spoiling.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Hey!! I'm joining in your experiment. Rather than kicking all our broodies off the nests every day, I marked 1 dozen eggs with markers and let our Buff Orpington sit on it. I chose her because she was the most vicious in pecking me when I would try to get her off the nest. I'm hoping that translates into seriously protective mothering. She's a bit confused and moves to other nests during the day, but as soon as we clear them of eggs, she finds her own large nest again and sits on it.

So, I think heritage breeds are supposed to be good brooders, but I will be learning along with you :)

Are you saying you don't have a broody yet but are hoping nestfuls of eggs will help one become broody? I hope it works for you!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'll join your experiment, gals! I have two broodies...one is real persistent and the other just started and would probably sit if I gave her the place to do so. I'll mark some eggs and leave some and see who claims them and sits.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
This will be fun :) I took a variety of eggs for her next Friday, so it would be really neat to see what mutts she could hatch out.

Here's a question, though: What do I do about her next being about 3' off the ground? Last time we tried this, I moved the broody and her eggs to a box in a separate location. She got off the eggs and went right back to her old empty nest...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Did you move her in the middle of the night? I now have a broody pen(not very big) in which I moved my last broody. I moved her in the middle of the night by covering her with a towel, putting her on the eggs in the new nest and then I covered the hole thing(a dog house) with a blanket. When I went out next morning about midmorning, she was very settled into her new home. I don't know how well it would have worked if she had been in the coop still. :idunno

Now, I'm going to try to establish three nest boxes in the broody pen and see if the mama and current babies will co-exist with two more broodies. Anyone ever try this?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'll have to go scour Harvey Ussery's site, I think he might have that answer, I think he might keep them separate for a few days??

I never leave enough eggs to stimulate broodiness, I have such a little tiny flock that there are rarely more than 4-5 eggs in any one nest. So I've never had anyone offer to go broody. I am hoping that by leaving enough eggs, someone will have a eureka moment....look! Fourteen eggs! I think I'll just sit here for three weeks!

Just one 2 year old rooster for 12 hens, though...I guess I'll learn to candle pretty quick or :sick

I do regularly leave my unwashed eggs on the counter for several days. Once washed (wiped is more accurate, spot-cleaned) they go right in the fridge. MEN has some great articles on keeping eggs. Unwashed eggs will keep the longest. I plan on never having to keep eggs long-term, I plan to always have enough hens to produce through the winter for us. We need 4-6 eggs a day for breakfast, mayo, etc. A few more if we get a hankering for devilled eggs, or if I am on an egg sandwich kick! Now we are both dropping raw eggs in our fruit and yogurt shakes!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
This morning there were three more eggs in the corner nest, I took one little one away. Four eggs were scattered away from the nest, though, and George (aka Canned Chicken asap) was guarding one. He never came at me inside the narrow coop so I stepped towards him to drive him back, then picked up the egg. Little *&%$#@ came at me, but couldn't get up much power, so I gave him my boot.

I have to admire that he does his job so well, but he's gotta go!!

Wonder what the scattered eggs mean. Can't wait to see what things look like tonight when I get home from work, it's a late night tonight.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ive accidentially joined the ranks. One day last week I wsa too busy all day to go in for the eggs. I knew they had feed, filled up water outside. Went in early evening to collect eggs and one was sitting, I thought ok she's laying Ill come back in the morning. Well she was still sitting. The 5 eggs in the nest were all it took. I now have a broody RIR. Shes on 3 plastic Easter eggs right now. I have a brooder pen ready for her and plan to set her up tomorrow if I get enough eggs. Broke one yesterday and only got 2 so Im hoping to set her with 6 or 8. :fl