The Great Laundry Experiment Results (PIC HEAVY)

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Indeed those jeans were offending. Why the mere sight of them offended me. I am impressed with your homemad soap efforts on those fabric offenders.

Also, I find that weird, is a weird word. Aint that weird?

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
Boltstrikes said:
This is very impressive. Definitely interested in the recipe.

On a laundry related note. If anyone else still uses their dryer, the lint trap seems like such a waste. The material is always so fine and soft that gets caught up in there. There has got to be a use, or recyclable to it.
I used to save it up to stuff pillows or other home-made doodads. Now I throw it outside for the birds to line their nests with. I haven't seen a pile of dead birds lying around, so it hasn't killed them yet.

My mom brings hers camping to start the fires with. Works great!

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
davaroo said:
Indeed those jeans were offending. Why the mere sight of them offended me. I am impressed with your homemad soap efforts on those fabric offenders.

Also, I find that weird, is a weird word. Aint that weird?
Weird is a weird word, but gobble is even weirder.

But it doesn't describe itself like weird.

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Goop works wonders on tar & grease too. The kind in the white jar or tube, not the orange kind that contains pumice. We haul hot asphalt for paving projects and some projects require what they called "rubberized asphalt" - it's kind of like working with a really really big batch of rice crispy treats only you don't have any butter or margarine to keep it off anything and it gets all over our dump trucks and our clothes. Goop is my secret weapon. I come home filthier on some days than most men do - (noy braggin', just sayin").

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
E4S, great demonstration! :clap

Here's a little thingy: The grease spots that occur on clothing while in the dryer can be caused by using fabric softener sheets in a hot dryer. These contains oils that usually come out evenly distributed when starting in a cold dryer, but will deposit spots in a hot dryer.

Also, the oils in fabric softeners are one of the reasons for lint trap related fires in dryers. One test you can do to see if you have oils in your lint trap is to run the screen under water. If the water stays on the screen in a film instead of running straight through, you have oil buildup that is dangerous. This can cause a fire even when the dryer is not in use, as they can throw a spark and ignite the oils and lint.

This info came from a fellow who services and repairs washers and dryers and also has helped with research on dryer related fires.

A better method of having softened clothes is to use dryer balls. They last a very long time, they reduce drying time and leave no smelly residue or oils in clothing. Also, the usual fabric softeners build up in clothing as oils that can reduce the effectiveness of your detergent. Ever run out of fabric softener but your clothing still smell like your usual softener even after being washed a couple of times? This means your clothing is not being cleaned properly. The oils and the dirt attached to it remains in the fibers.