The Gun Thread

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i don't have any guns. dont believe in them. so if anyone is reading this they should know they don't need a gun to rob my place. a stick will do fine.

😁

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i've found that i enjoy shooting and hunting over the years but i do not want to have a huge arsenal at home. i have my hunting rifle, my shotgun (with short lane adapters for a menu of calibers), and a hand gun or 2. i would love to have a muzzle loader and ball /cap pistol but thats a want not a need. i'm sure i will inherit a few from my dad one day. i've started looking into reloading and casting my own bullets I've also trimmed my ammuntion needs to select sizes for ease of availablity and utility.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like to shoot and therefore I have had a lot of lady's ask me what gun should they get for self-defense.

I ask are they going to go out and practice with it and get good at shooting and keep practicing regularly or are they going to buy it and stick it in the closet for when the bad-guys show up.

If the answer is "set it on the shelf and forget it" - my answer is always - Get a shotgun. It shoots lots of projectiles, makes a lot of noise when you take it off the shelf and cock it, and you don't have to know how to aim - Just point it in the right direction. That big hole in the end of the gun looks even bigger when it is pointing at you.

Not the answer that they want, but if you are not going to take the time to get comfortable and familiar with a gun, then it is more of a danger to you than having nothing. You would be better with a baseball bat next to the bed.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Totally agree. Shotgun is wonderful for self-defense and easy to use.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like to shoot and therefore I have had a lot of lady's ask me what gun should they get for self-defense.

I ask are they going to go out and practice with it and get good at shooting and keep practicing regularly or are they going to buy it and stick it in the closet for when the bad-guys show up.

If the answer is "set it on the shelf and forget it" - my answer is always - Get a shotgun. It shoots lots of projectiles, makes a lot of noise when you take it off the shelf and cock it, and you don't have to know how to aim - Just point it in the right direction. That big hole in the end of the gun looks even bigger when it is pointing at you.

Not the answer that they want, but if you are not going to take the time to get comfortable and familiar with a gun, then it is more of a danger to you than having nothing. You would be better with a baseball bat next to the bed.

x2
and even then you will need to know how to operate the shotgun.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A friend tells a story of working 3rd shift and getting a call that his pal forgot his lunch-pail on the kitchen table and begging him to stop by and get it for him on his way in. His pal said his wife was sleeping so be quiet. Well, they were good friends and at each others house all the time, so sure, why not. My friend knew where the hidden key was, so he goes in through the garage to the kitchen to get the lunchbox when he hears the wife rack the 12 gauge pump shotgun from the bedroom. That sound in a silent house just stopped him dead in his tracks - his heart was in his throat he could barely talk and he peed his pants, lol. He croaked out "Don't shoot! Barb, its Brian! Don't shoot!! Bill forgot his lunch!! Don't shoot!! I just stopped to get it!! DON'T SHOOT!!" The wife says that she shouted "Leave now or I will shoot!" but Brian swears he didn't hear her say anything - he just heard that gun.
They laugh about it today, but he will never let himself into a dark house ever again.