The humanure thread

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
rathbone said:
I am having one of those mornings where I am frustrated with my life - or rather I don't feel in control of my life? Have a good morning all!
Hi Rathbone,

You read as though you could use a hug, or a good ole girlfriend talk or both! Being newly transplanted I get it. Just wanted to STOP, take a minute, smell the roses, and reach out best I could via cyberspace :love 'cause yeah, let's keep it real, sometimes life sucks eggs.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lee&lyric said:
rathbone said:
I am having one of those mornings where I am frustrated with my life - or rather I don't feel in control of my life? Have a good morning all!
Hi Rathbone,

You read as though you could use a hug, sometimes life sucks eggs.
Yes, and yes. Hug needed and gladly accepted.

saraltx

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
lee&lyric said:
saraltx said:
I have been interested in the humanure thing for a while and actually kind of started it yesterday as an experiment to see if I want to stick with it.
So, saraltx, what did you decide? No, I did not read through the thread from page 1 to the end. We have been reading about humanure and are at the stage you were when you op'd. Well, not quite, we haven't began as in crafted our toilet yet. We're simply waiting to move onto our land. Any updates you can give would be appreciated.

Oh, and the poster above who high-fived the lady who said this is not a hobby, but preparation for post apocalyptic living . . . here, here, we're with you on that point!

Cheers,

L & L
Here is the requested update: I've been doing this for almost a year now. My first compost bin/trash can was filled up in May (not just humanure, but also kitchen waste and a few dead rabbits and chickens). The second trash can will soon be full, so each lasts me about 6 months. I want to let each bin stand for a full year before trying to use it, so I hope to use the first one this coming May. But I just looked into the first bin to give a report, and I realized I had let it get way too dry. I didn't see anything poopy-looking, but the leaves I used as cover material aren't quite broken down yet, so I assume neither is the poop. So I'll make sure to regularly check on it and add water for the remaining months.
I still just use a basic "bucket system", and leaves to cover. It really doesn't smell, neither in the bucket nor outside in the bins. The only smell sometimes came from any newly added animals for a few days, but only if I didn't cover them well enough. As long as everything is covered, there is no smell as far as I can tell (I admit I don't have a very good sense of smell, though, but nobody is complaining).
So far, I see no reason not to continue my humanure project. I will make sure to give another update in 6 months when I hope to use the contents of my first bin.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I might have missed something, so forgive me if I ask something that has already been asked~are you using any worms in your bins? I bet a couple thou of red wigglers would sure thrive well in that if you are adding leaf matter.

It would be really cool if you could post pics of the stuff you have cooked into compost when you are done!

saraltx

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I might have missed something, so forgive me if I ask something that has already been asked~are you using any worms in your bins? I bet a couple thou of red wigglers would sure thrive well in that if you are adding leaf matter.

It would be really cool if you could post pics of the stuff you have cooked into compost when you are done!
I haven't added any worms, but I know they have come on their own, because they are crawling everywhere around the outside of the bin when it rains! I can certainly post pictures once the first bin is done. Hopefully if I keep it more moist from now on the rest should break down nicely.

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
@saraltx,

Thanks for the update, Chica. We're moving THIS WEEK, finally, so what you've written is encouraging to say the least. Six months, WOW, that was quick. How many people are contributing to yours? We have five people, but the children are at homeschooling location during the day. As far as moisture goes I am thinking being in FL the temps for our compost should be on point. We're still looking for a sawdust source. Someone referred us to Davey Tree. Perhaps they are in Lakeland, IDK. We also spoke of getting that machine that mulches up wood chips (guess it can be adjusted down to "fine"). Like you said, this is definitely a project/experiment. But, we're sold on it-no need to "convince" us.

saraltx

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
L&L, I'm the only contributor. But since I also added regular kitchen compost and dead animals, it filled up faster. - Someone who I had talked to about this when I originally started it recently asked me if I'm still doing my "project", and I had to think about what he means, because it has become entirely normal to me by now. In fact, now I feel wasteful when I'm not home and have to flush perfectly good water down the toilet.

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
saraltx said:
In fact, now I feel wasteful when I'm not home and have to flush perfectly good water down the toilet.
UUuuww, I know that's right, saraltx. I'm sure I'll feel the same. :lol:

Lyric