The humanure thread

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Emerald said:
While folks may find the idea of having to deal with their waste distasteful, just think after SHTF what are they gonna do when a loved one passes away and there isn't any hearse to take them away and deal with the body.
Even if that did happen- and I don't believe it ever will- I am in no hurry to start burying my loved ones in the back yard now. If there is no other choice, you do what you must. But when you have options, you are free to use them.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OrganicKale said:
Why am I getting the impression that people think it is morally wrong NOT to want to compost your own waste? And where I come from, people find excrement disgusting. That is not considered a sign of maladjustment; in fact, it is considered normal to find smelly piles of poop disgusting. It's not exactly pleasing to be around. If people want to play with their own poop, fine, but they really should understand why most people would not want to.
I don't think anyone is maladjusted for not liking to deal with poop. For me personally this thread is about learning a different way to deal with waste. Also this thread represents to me, a group of people willing to be open about the fact that they are not using the conventional toilet - and that that is okay. Where I live - no one does this. Or if they do, it is very hush-hush. Heavens, I use family cloth and I wouldn't dare confess it to anyone I personally know. Although I feel it is the correct thing to do, I know that others are not in agreement. To them it is just strange and yucky.
Sounds like feelings are getting hurt because people are feeling judged.
I don't want to pass judgement on others. And in that same vein of thought, I don't want people to pass judgement on me. If using human excrement is disgusting to anyone, I guess I am just scratching my head why they would be here cruising the humanure thread.
I am sure that if any other person was going over my actions with a fine toothed comb, they could point out many ways I am not being kind to the earth. And being kind to the earth is important to me. I think we all have areas in life we "just are not willing to go there." So I am not here to judge. I am here to learn.
Can we all agree to just play nice and keep the judgements out of it?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love you Rathbone; you are so sweet! This thread was started specifically for people interested in the possibility of using humanure in their garden-- not as a place for finger pointing and nose-holding. I personally have NOT started composting my waste, but only because I'm still figuring out how I'm gonna do it.

Here is a great video about humanure that I enjoyed. I haven't searched the whole thread so if I am duplicating a posting, I apologize.

http://www.wordpress.peakmoment.tv/conversations/?p=391

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Staff Note: If you find a topic not to your taste, please move along.

elevan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A note to all members: If you find this topic distasteful or unpleasant then please move along and do not post.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We use a regular toilet. In fact, we just installed a 1gpf HET. But right now, we live in town. We are hooked up to a city water and sewer system.

If we do move out to the country, we'll be on septic/well. I grew up on a septic/well. My dad built the house when I was 2. By the time I was 12, my folks were replacing the septic system because it was never installed properly. Long story short, that ain't gonna be me.

In my mind, learning about humanure is no different than learning how to sew or how to can. Because as (I think) Wifezilla said, I don't have hobbies, rather, I am cultivating a robust, post-apocalyptic skill set. :lol:

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
saraltx said:
I have been interested in the humanure thing for a while and actually kind of started it yesterday as an experiment to see if I want to stick with it.
So, saraltx, what did you decide? No, I did not read through the thread from page 1 to the end. We have been reading about humanure and are at the stage you were when you op'd. Well, not quite, we haven't began as in crafted our toilet yet. We're simply waiting to move onto our land. Any updates you can give would be appreciated.

Oh, and the poster above who high-fived the lady who said this is not a hobby, but preparation for post apocalyptic living . . . here, here, we're with you on that point!

Cheers,

L & L

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am having one of those mornings where I am frustrated with my life - or rather I don't feel in control of my life?
So many things I wish were different and it just isn't in my power (budget constraints, time constraints etc) to change those things at this time. So the next best thing I guess is to keep learning and make plans for what I will change when I do have the time or the means.
So, thank you all for continuing to put your ideas out there...and all those lovely links to interesting ideas.
Have a good morning all!