The humanure thread

saraltx

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Nice video. I'm glad they confirmed my reasoning that it works better when collecting the urine separately. I'm just not quite sure why the video puts so much emphasis on using separate humanure compost bins aside from the regular compost. I know it has to sit at last a year, but why can't you still mix your humanure and regular compost all together and let it all sit for a year? I can see it if you have kids and don't want to take any chances of them coming into contact with the uncomposted humanure. But I really can't see anyone walk in my yard and dig around in my compost bin, so I figure it will be okay for me.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
saraltx said:
Nice video. I'm glad they confirmed my reasoning that it works better when collecting the urine separately. I'm just not quite sure why the video puts so much emphasis on using separate humanure compost bins aside from the regular compost. I know it has to sit at last a year, but why can't you still mix your humanure and regular compost all together and let it all sit for a year? I can see it if you have kids and don't want to take any chances of them coming into contact with the uncomposted humanure. But I really can't see anyone walk in my yard and dig around in my compost bin, so I figure it will be okay for me.
I think it has to do with regulations and codes here.
It used to be it was all mixed in one heap.

Here in Alaska, we would need to let it sit for 4-5 years, to get a full turnover, whereas the animal stuff, I can use pretty quickly without any worry.
I bury it in the garden hot, or let it sit for one summer.

Also, I wanted to mention, I understand that in France, it is common to collect and age urine prior to using it on plants.

saraltx

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Okay, that would make sense. Thanks for the clarification. Luckily, here in Texas I imagine it should go fairly fast.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You are right about that! (Lived in S. TX for 35 years!)

Also I think the black bins get hotter than just a pile with a tarp over it. (They were black weren't they? It has been a while since I saw that video.)

Also they might have different piles of other compost that compost faster than humanure, and therefore can use it sooner. Or like me I tuck my compost under the 6 inch layer of mulch IN my garden. (Skipping composting in a separate place.)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
saraltx said:
Okay, that would make sense. Thanks for the clarification. Luckily, here in Texas I imagine it should go fairly fast.
Yeah, you have an advantage with your climate, for sure.

We are partly set up to do this in the summer.
I have a temporary outhouse put up with a bucket system.
I want to make on that has two buckets for proper collection.
And I need to make a set up for inside as well.
I like the idea of never needing the septic pumped!

Lots of people use outhouses in winter up here, and I have used one below zero.
But, it only happens when there is no other choice :lol:

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
You are right about that! (Lived in S. TX for 35 years!)

Also I think the black bins get hotter than just a pile with a tarp over it. (They were black weren't they? It has been a while since I saw that video.)

Also they might have different piles of other compost that compost faster than humanure, and therefore can use it sooner. Or like me I tuck my compost under the 6 inch layer of mulch IN my garden. (Skipping composting in a separate place.)
And adding heat in colder climates ;)
All my tires get that treatment with hot manure. Best thing I ever tried in the garden!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4050
Another (older) thread here with much discussion.

I think it is a great idea, although I am with BBH in that I wouldn't use humanure uncomposted.

We are in the process of building a 3 part bin, plus a covered storage bin for cover material. Three bins so it can age for 2 years after the last "live" entry. ;)

If you think about a litterbox, the way to keep smell down is pretty simple. Keep it covered!

Doesn't matter so much what you use to cover (as long as it is DRY & fluffy), if it smells or looks bad, add cover until it does neither.

Although, aged sawdust seems to be the best for use in the collection toilets and straw, hay or leaves for the bins.

The author of the Handbook has a great website here:
http://humanurehandbook.com/

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
We started using wood shavings for our cat litter. Best thing we ever did!

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've never heard of doing that BubblingBrooks! Does that mean you are able to compost the lot?

I used to use Swheat and loved it. Swheat is made entirely of ground wheat (nevertheless it was pretty expensive) but it had wonderful clumping properties - better than any of the clay based "clumping" cat litters. Unfortunately, after using it for several years, we developed a terrible moth problem in the house and traced it to the Swheat - they were breeding in the cat litter in enormous quantities. So we had to switch to regular 'ol cat litter much to my dismay. Maybe I should try wood shavings.....