The Journey of Finding the Perfect Dairy Calf

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
For the past 2 years I have been on my head to get a few dairy goats for our family use. Took me FOREVER to get the okay and to get them on board. We were getting deeper into goat research and barn planning estimating feed bills the whole lot on goats. Then I began to notice that there was a kit more to gain from a cow rather than goats.

1. The butter, no butter from goats but all I want from a cow plus the ice cream! Which I made for the first time and it was heavenly!!! Im making pumpking Ice Cream next...nom nom

2. The feed bill, to feed about 2 or 3 goats was fairly close to that of a cow.....I have the numbers in another thread.

3. General versatility, beef calf, raise a pig off extra milk, contribute to chicken feed.

4. Plus I know more about cattle and am comfortable working with a good cow.

5. Area vets know more about cattle than goats plus the breeding. I dont know of any person with a billy goat but my neighbor has a bull and we could have a play date arranged....

6. Also we KNOW for sure we like cow milk whereas we dont with goats and then we get them and no one likes the milk.

7. Lastly, pasture. It hadnt occured to us until yesterday but we have pasture for a cow. We have two large orchards that could be done in temporary electric fence and would feed her in the summer. Whereas goats would destroy it.

Im gonna name it Gladys by the way. We layed off for the barn yesterday so I should get some pictures tomorrow to post here! Here goes!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I can't wait, BB! I hope you get one with which you can bond...I think it makes all the difference at milking and handling time if they form a friendship, so to speak.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I can't wait, BB! I hope you get one with which you can bond...I think it makes all the difference at milking and handling time if they form a friendship, so to speak.
Me too, I want this to be pleasant and hopefully we will be friends.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BB, I have never "personally" owned a milk cow but my grandma had one....she always told me the way to keep a sane milker is to talk softly and always place your head into her side while you milk, Let her know you are still down there an busy. Also, when she swipes her tail, it hits the back of your head, not your face. LOL I think a cow is a wonderful idea....but I know we would never use all that milk here. Heck, we can't use all the milk from one goat!! LOL Congrats on your decision, and happy cow hunting!!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Uh huh. :caf You're obsessed aren't ya? :p
Some of us call this behavior "focused". :)

Neither of us would EVER exhibit that level of focus, now would we? :rolleyes: :plbb :lol:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BB, I can't remember if you were going to get a heifer and have her bred, or buy an existing milker. :hu

If you're going to buy a milker, be sure to "try her out" before you buy. A heifer will be more of a wild card with temperament, but I know you will be fine if you go slow and be patient. Just remember to warm your hands up first on those cold frosty Kentucky mornings... :p

Some days I miss being around dairy cows, but not on those cold winter mornings. :lol:

Gladys, huh?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Wannabefree said:
Im both. I will not deny WBF's chance to call me obsessed because its true :p :D

Justusnak, thanks for those tips, much appreciated :)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
FarmerJamie said:
Wannabefree said:
Im both. I will not deny WBF's chance to call me obsessed because its true :p :D

Justusnak, thanks for those tips, much appreciated :)
And if you get a heifer, be sure to start petting/stroking her sides and back even before milking to have her get used to it.