The last tomato cages you will ever need.........FREE!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
At least mine were!!! Last season, I was offered a whole roll of concrete reinforcing wire, because it had been setting outside and was a little bit rusty. :D Free is always good.....so now, what the heck can I use this stuff for.......it is very stiff wire fencing that is 4 feet wide......tough as nails to cut or try to work with...... Hmmmmmm lemme grab a beer and think about this for minute or 3.

I cut just one piece off the roll, and made it 10 sections or "windows" long. Then I cut the one side rail off, leaving the "stubs" , and then took a pair of pliers and started to bend the "stubs" around..... like so.....
365224358.jpg

I also cut the rail off the bottom and left those stubs, so you have something to stick in the ground.
Next, just roll the cage together and hook those bent stubs over the other side and finish bending them around so they lock the cage together.
365224356.jpg

When I planted my 'maters, I placed sections of newspaper around the plant,then just stick the bottom stubs in the ground going right through the papers to hold them in place. Instant mulch and weed control!! Next, I drove some fence stakes in the ground beside the new cages and used nylon tie straps to hold the cages to the stakes.
365224357.jpg

At the end of the season, just cut the tie straps, pull the fence stakes out, then lift the cage plant and all out and shake the snot out of it to get the old tomato plant out. Easy peasy!!
For storage, I just stack the cages up outside until next spring. At the rate these things are going, they should last another 5 to 10 years. The wire they use to make this stuff is VERY HEAVY!!

If I can scrounge some more of this stuff up, I may try to make some shorter cages for the pepper plants. I figure about half the width of a roll would be just about perfect!!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Here is the rest of the garden and the raised beds.......

365225208.jpg

365225210.jpg

365225209.jpg

And the wife's toy I put together for her. She LOVES this golf cart!!
365225214.jpg

365225217.jpg

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
That concrete wire is what my tomato cages are made of, and my dad's. Matter of fact, that' where I got them. He has used them for many, many years with only a few minor repairs.

We've been looking for inexpensive concrete wire for ages.

Can you tell I'm tomato green with envy?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Punkin........get in touch every contractor in your area. Most ANY contractor has to do some concrete repair at some point! You might even try the road crews..... one of them is bound to have some wire left over! Also check with any Lowes or Home Depot stores and see if they have any that is damaged. You might just be surprised at the discounts you can get if you just ask. ;)
I got mine because it was rusty and had a little bit of damage on one end. Big deal, I cut that end off anyway!! :lol:

See all that black stuff laying in front of the raised beds? That is landscape edging and black plastic pipe. It was laying out in front of the neighbors house with a big "FREE" sign next to it!!! You can see where it is living now!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Punkin........get in touch every contractor in your area. Most ANY contractor has to do some concrete repair at some point! You might even try the road crews..... one of them is bound to have some wire left over! Also check with any Lowes or Home Depot stores and see if they have any that is damaged. You might just be surprised at the discounts you can get if you just ask. ;)
I got mine because it was rusty and had a little bit of damage on one end. Big deal, I cut that end off anyway!! :lol:

See all that black stuff laying in front of the raised beds? That is landscape edging and black plastic pipe. It was laying out in front of the neighbors house with a big "FREE" sign next to it!!! You can see where it is living now!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good idea!! I just might be callin' on some contractors I know. ;)

Reaction score
I just bought a roll at Lowes for 120.00 I went with 9 squares and got 25 cages. Used a cut off wheel on a 3.5" grinder and hog clips to secure the ends. Your raised beds are great. Love your golf cart too. Those wheels and tires make it look like a miniature 4x4.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
I just bought a roll at Lowes for 120.00 I went with 9 squares and got 25 cages. Used a cut off wheel on a 3.5" grinder and hog clips to secure the ends. Your raised beds are great. Love your golf cart too. Those wheels and tires make it look like a miniature 4x4.
I used a big pair of bolt cutters to cut my wire. Love the cut off wheel idea!! I didn't have any hogrings laying around, so I just went with bending the ends to hook them together.
I was thinking that if I can get a little bit more of this stuff,I may try to make some cages for the pepper plants, or maybe even some cages for certain flowers (like Peonies!)
If ya split a roll down the middle......a fella could get whole BUNCH of shorter cages from just a partial roll!!! :weee :clap

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great ideas SKR. Thanks for the pictures with all the details. That golf cart looks like a serious piece of equipment! :thumbsup