The Mother's Act

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
MorelCabin said:
farmerlor said:
Okay, I just read the entire bill. The bill provides for grant money that will provide information about post partum depression to women and will continue studying the causes and treatments for the problem. There's nothing in here about enforcement or forcing treatment or forcing anyone to even take the information about PPD. Can you show me where there's any language in the bill that would stir up all this controversy?
It only takes a little research into different areas of 'grant money' to show just how controlled things can get once grant money is pured into them. And that goes for many facets of society. This one eventually will destroy families, just like others have in recent years.
Okay, I have no doubt that there will be big pharmaceuticals involved in the research and development part of this but there is NOTHING in the bill about making women take tests to take their babies home or any kind of language about even making the information mandatory. "Destroy families"? Really? How about some of these women who've killed their children due to PPD? That probably has a hand in destroying a family or two. I for one, think that the bill AS WRITTEN is fine and the more information about PPD there is the better off we all are. Too many people think that because they've never experienced it, it's just the "baby blues" and women should just be able to snap out of by looking at that cute little baby face. Sorry, but that cute little baby face makes it twelve times worse and when women understand they're not alone they can get help whether that means attaching themselves to some kind of support network or taking pills.
In many cases, you are right. But all it takes is the whole ADHD scenario to convince me that this is not a good thing. For the VERY FEW women out there who have killed thier kids over PPD, because they weren't on meds, there could be many many more do the same thing because they ARE on meds.
The ADHD scenario has gotten way out of hand, kids are LINED UP at noon to take meds because parents are FORCED to give them to them or protective services are called. These meds are not to be taken lightly! Neither is any psychiatric drug.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
The Melanie Blocker Stokes MOTHERS Act is a federal bill named after Melanie Stokes, a woman who suffered emotional difficulties after giving birth and was subsequently prescribed a cocktail of intensely controversial psychiatric drugs including anti-psychotic, anti-anxiety, and anti-depressant drugs before being subjected to electroshock treatment.

Melanie Stokes was in the mental health system, was prescribed drugs, was hospitalized, was subjected to the still barbaric practice of electroshock and only after receiving mental health treatment did she commit suicide. That is what the mental health industry did for a new mother named Melanie Stokes. It is incredible that a story such as this does not raise alarm bells within Congress on the negligence of prescribing cocktails of psychiatric drugs to new mothers, drugs documented by the US FDA and international drug regulatory agencies to cause not only a host of documented adverse events for adults, but also for the unborn children of pregnant women who incredibly, are being prescribed these drugs even during pregnancy.

Here are some good examples of why we don't want this act taking effect

http://mothersact.wordpress.com/

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
And again, the site you present is all hysterical supposition having nothing whatsoever to do with the actual wording of the bill. There is nothing in the bill that implies there will be action taken if the information presented is turned down and the rest of the money is going to research and development of treatments for PPD. I see no reason to oppose the acquisition of information and offering it to women who may need or want it providing they are not forced to take it or forced to comply with some treatment.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be soooooo much more effective to have folks take a test BEFORE they get pregnant? I've always thought there should be a basic IQ test of some type one should take before being allowed to reproduce!

Morel. I didn't read the bill, but it sounds just like the government's way of doing things....overkill and with the wrong agenda. :rolleyes:

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Bee - I agree with you. Test before allowing reproduction.

I have not read any of the bill. I don't have to. Right now its research. And I am sure it is written wisely with the publics best interest at the heart of it. No way could they pass any of these laws unless they took one small step at a time.

No different than a thousand other things the government does.

Condition us to accept one small phase before they move on to the next controlling phase.

They have been doing it for years. How the heck does anyone think we got to where we are now?

Anyone can call it hysteria if they chose to. Anyone can chose to believe that they really do have our best interest at heart.

I call it reading between the lines, looking at the past government practices and anticipating their next move.
I also choose to believe that the only thing a politician is worried about is his bank balance.

In all honesty, I also believe that whoever came up with this idea is probably some really nice person that wants to help women and save a babies life. They just should have gone into the non-profit business and did it themselves instead of trying to involve the government. Now that the bill is there, drug companies are seeing dollar signs.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I have not read the bill, either. Just a question, though? What would the gov't do with all these confiscated babies that it wants to take away from mothers? AFAIK, it already struggles to deal with too many children in the fostercare system. Hard to imagine that taking away MORE children for a power grab would be its goal.

Reaction score
Could you imagine the moral outrage from the same sources criticizing this bill if the government told people they couldn't have babies because a test showed they would suck as parents. I was a foster parent for almost 12 years. We had that same idea many times.

As far as taking the kids. Child protection services across the country are very strapped for resources. Sees like when it comes to paying some extra tax or letting children be abused is a choice the pocketbook is more important to a lot of people. Something needs to be done before more women give their kids baths that they never come back from.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
You can't test for postpartum depression *pre*partum anyhow :p Actually I wonder how accurate a screening test done within a few days of the birth would be -- it often develops much later.

Totally not going to comment on any other aspect of this thread.

Pat