The neighbor got us a deer today!! Updated 12/10

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I am so excited because the neighbor got us a deer today!! He called about 6PM to say that he got us a deer and that he would take if off to the processor if we would pay for it!! The processor said the deer was about 125 pounds.
It is a $70 charge for just normal processing...their usual cut regarless of the size of the deer. But, we are having 20 pounds of it turned into slim jim (because DH and the kiddos LOVE slim jims) at $2.75 a pound extra. So it is going to end up being around $125 for 125 punds of meat. Or am I thinking I should call the processor back and tell them to just have it ground and then I can just save myself the $55 and make it myself this time around...not sure what to do.
If they get another deer for us I think I will just have the $70 process done and then make the jerky myself.
My DH does NOT hunt at all and we have asked several of our friends and neighbors to get us a deer and we will pay for the processing for the last several years and this is the first neighbor that finally did!!

angie68

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Congratulations!! We have 2 deer in the freezer so far this year! I love it!:p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
$1 lb for processing
done for you...jerky and all.
heck, let them do it.....that is a good deal for alot of meat

lucky you and nice neighbor! :)

glad he got one for you! if you were nearby I would have Tony get ya one, but heck, he hasn't even gotten one for me yet...LOL

he is going out hunting tomorrow morning....we shall see?????? fingers crossed

but yea, that is a good deal on processing and no mess! My kind of deal! :)

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That sounds like a good deal! If you want to try to make the slim jims your self-then go for it. Save yourself some money.
What about the Skin? On the off chance that you can have that, then buy some canning salt and salt it really good on the meat side and put it in the freezer......till you can process it, lol.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lucky you!
For $1/pound, you don't have to do the work, clean up, pay for wrapping or the cost for your freezer to freeze it as it will be frozen when you pick it up.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
roosmom said:
That sounds like a good deal! If you want to try to make the slim jims your self-then go for it. Save yourself some money.
What about the Skin? On the off chance that you can have that, then buy some canning salt and salt it really good on the meat side and put it in the freezer......till you can process it, lol.
The processing place keeps the hides :rolleyes: and resells them and takes it off the price of the cutting.

I did try calling today about changing my order and not having the jerky made...left a message but they have not called me back. My brother has made jerky several times so I am going to see if he will help me. When we dropped off the deer they said they were not even going to try to make the jerky until after Christmas.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I am doubly blessed!!! A friend of ours that told us they would get us a deer a MONTH ago told me this evening when I ran into her at a secret sister dinner said they got us a deer...it has been done and waiting to be picked up from the processor for over a week!! She is bringing it over Thursday!! I am picking up the deer tomorrow (Wednesday) that my neighbor got me!!! So guess what I am going to be doing tomorrow.....reorganizing my freezers and making room for some deer meat!!!!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow it rains, it pours for you!
COOL
now go brush up on those venison recipes..LOL

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Wow it rains, it pours for you!
COOL
now go brush up on those venison recipes..LOL
I am literally in the "storehouse will overflow so much that you can not contain it all" (paraphrase) stage!!
I was also blessed by someone in my church with a gift for each child and a $75 Walmart gc to go buy them more gifts and socks...they need black socks in a bad way! God has truly been blessing me!
Now if my chickens would get off the picket line and start laying again so I can fullfill my egg swap committment.....

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it is nice when things go smoothly, versus all the times we have it so rough. it is what makes us get thru life with a smile alot of times, knowing that relief is out there and will come......and not having frown lines on our faces..LOL-LOL

I have had my share of frown lines..HA HA HA

knowing you have a freezer full of meat is such a relief! I know! :)

Latest posts