The NY Times Reports: Obamas to Plant White House Vegetable Garden

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
And a good idea, I hope he really starts to listen to those of us who are truly concerned with the direction our food supply is going and will help us guide it to a more sustainable model.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Seems very promising. The more experience they have with fresh, local, organic food, bee keeping, and just being attached to their plot of land (even if it IS the White House :)), the better!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
All those lettuces make me antsy to plant right now!

I know many elementary schools have land labs but I do hope the whole concept of organic gardening catches on from the WH's example.

me&thegals

Reaction score
No kidding, Sylvie! I could do a 100-page rant thread on the quality of the school lunch program! I am REALLY hoping those Carolina Cross watermelon seeds I will plant actually get over 100 lb like they promise so I can haul one each of them to my kids' schools :)

I also like the way Michelle Obama admits to her girls having had less-than-great diets, heading a little bit towards overweight, but then taking personal responsibility to teach their kids how to eat healthily.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
No kidding, Sylvie! I could do a 100-page rant thread on the quality of the school lunch program! I am REALLY hoping those Carolina Cross watermelon seeds I will plant actually get over 100 lb like they promise so I can haul one each of them to my kids' schools :)

I also like the way Michelle Obama admits to her girls having had less-than-great diets, heading a little bit towards overweight, but then taking personal responsibility to teach their kids how to eat healthily.
Yes, the school lunches are atrocious! There is so much peer pressure to buy lunches and not brown bag.

Good luck on those melons! How do you plan to lift them? :ep

me&thegals

Reaction score
That is a good question. I'm not going to jinx my luck with a plan until I see those big slobs in my garden :)

Latest posts