THE OFFICIAL GARDENING AND PRESERVING CHALLENGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
I laid my seed packets out in a a row on the kitchen table today. Does that count for anything towards the challenge? :p
Yep it sure does...counts for having the Spring Fever!!! Your time will come brother :hugs Patience is SO HARD to come by when getting the gardening bug early!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
FarmerJamie said:
I laid my seed packets out in a a row on the kitchen table today. Does that count for anything towards the challenge? :p
Yep it sure does...counts for having the Spring Fever!!! Your time will come brother :hugs Patience is SO HARD to come by when getting the gardening bug early!
DW is actually feeding it too. :th

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Update for my little farm...

This is what I have planted so far, not counting started seed, just that that is already in the dirt outside:

10 strawberries
2 blueberries
16 potatoes
20 or 25 garlics(can't remember exactly :p )
80 onions
200 carrots (approximately)
300 turnips (approximately) these will be thinned when I start getting greens and will likely wind up with around 100 turnips...I'm the only one who eats them :hu

The blackberry canes are coming up really well now. I need to try to get my BIL to let me prune their apple tree so the apples will get bigger. They have been just a smidge bigger than golf balls the last several years :/ I am the one who gets all the fruit, I think the kids eat a few fresh ones and would like to really revive that tree!! IF they'll only let me..*sigh* The crabapple is doing really well but I don't get those because I don't know what to do with them....anybody? I'll gladly use them if I can!! As far as I can tell the pear tree at my aunts is doing great, I need to go check grandmas plums, and see if I can find those pecan trees near the house on DH's uncles land. We have plenty of hickory nuts.

My cousin is supposed to be coming next week with the tractor to break ground for the garden for me. DH built me a raised bed today for the turnips and some carrots so that went well. We have almost exhausted the compost pile now with everything we have planted so far, but now everything else will be started in the dirt anyway in the regular garden.

And that is all..... I have a break from gardening for a bit now until April/May :D

I'm A Gardener :)

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The snow has almost completely melted.... just need to paint the cold frame, BUT I cannot choose a color. Are there any colors that promote growth? We also need to get the seeds... and the gravel as the lining.

I actually planted a whole bunch of parsley seeds in the same container as my indoor basil plant. None sprouted yet..... But I've been misting them so then I don't flood the seeds out. I haven't given up hope yet, they have another week until they're due to germinate.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:

This is what I have planted so far, not counting started seed, just that that is already in the dirt outside:

10 strawberries
2 blueberries
16 potatoes
80 onions
300 turnips (approximately) these will be thinned when I start getting greens and will likely wind up with around 100 turnips...I'm the only one who eats them :hu

The blackberry canes are coming up really well now. I need to try to get my BIL to let me prune their apple tree so the apples will get bigger. They have been just a smidge bigger than golf balls the last several years :/ I am the one who gets all the fruit, I think the kids eat a few fresh ones and would like to really revive that tree!! IF they'll only let me..*sigh* The crabapple is doing really well but I don't get those because I don't know what to do with them....anybody? I'll gladly use them if I can!! As far as I can tell the pear tree at my aunts is doing great, I need to go check grandmas plums, and see if I can find those pecan trees near the house on DH's uncles land. We have plenty of hickory nuts.

My cousin is supposed to be coming next week with the tractor to break ground for the garden for me. DH built me a raised bed today for the turnips and some carrots so that went well. We have almost exhausted the compost pile now with everything we have planted so far, but now everything else will be started in the dirt anyway in the regular garden.

And that is all..... I have a break from gardening for a bit now until April/May :D
turnip greens..... :drool

Hooray..... :weee

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Wannabefree said:

10 strawberries
2 blueberries
16 potatoes
80 onions

turnip greens..... :drool

Hooray..... :weee
Yep and I'm ONLY a month late getting them out! :lol: I'll have a big pot of them going by the time you get here though God willing! :D

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Crabapple jelly?

I do need to get out and check my fruit trees and blueberry bushes. thanks for the reminder.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Crabapple jelly?

I do need to get out and check my fruit trees and blueberry bushes. thanks for the reminder.
I don't think you can use them for jelly....anyway it'd be very tart. Pucker up :lol:

Yeah go check the fruit!!! :D

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Last year, the crows ate my golden delicious apples.... :rolleyes:

I'm A Gardener :)

Power Conserver
Reaction score
How do you prune back an OLD apple tree (45 plus years old)... There are a few at my grandmas house, and would LOVE to harvest some. They give lots of small apples now, but would like some bigger ones. They also have pear trees, but they're the right size, just hard, only used for baking purposes, I believe!

Status
Not open for further replies.