FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
DO YOU SEE WHAT I SEE? :woot PEPPER!

2768_sdc10523.jpg

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Is that a Tabasco? Ours still aren't blooming yet, but the cayennes are taking off like mad!

Either way, nice job :thumbsup

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Is that a Tabasco? Ours still aren't blooming yet, but the cayennes are taking off like mad!

Nope, the tabasco is in a pot, hasn't grow *at all* in 4 weeks. Still green, just not growing.

It may be a Hungarian - I was in a hurry to get them planted to beat the weather, so DS was feeding me plants out of that flat I bought on impulse.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Wannabefree said:

Nope, the tabasco is in a pot, hasn't grow *at all* in 4 weeks. Still green, just not growing.

It may be a Hungarian - I was in a hurry to get them planted to beat the weather, so DS was feeding me plants out of that flat I bought on impulse.
Oh I see. Our Tabasco's aren't growing much either. They must just be slower to mature I guess. This is my first year trying them :hu Ours are maybe 8 inches tall now, and have been planted outside for...uh...100 years or so. :lol:

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OMG! OMGOMG! What is that glorious bright orb in the sky?! It brings warmth, and light!

Yes, the sun is shining today. I am reminded about just how much I love the sun. :p I hope it sticks around for a few days.

Peppers always seem to take forever to grow and ripen. I know it felt like ages to get even our bell peppers, and don't get me started on my chilis!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We have sweet bell peppers that are just sitting not growing as well. :/

Peppers like hot weather.

S

sunsaver

Is the ground still cool where you are, FF? I've found that peppers planted too early will get stunted by the cold. They often recover quickly when the heat sets in. Last year i dug my peppers out and potted them in five gallon containers. I brought them in to over-winter, and so i got a big jump on the season. I've got bells, poblanos, and tobascos already ripe. Of couse, it's triple digits here and i have to water constantly.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
It is possible that where those peppers are it is still cold. I planted them and then mulched them pretty heavy, so the mulch may be insulating the roots from the sun.

I have a soil thermometer. Perhaps I should take a temperature tomorrow. Thanks for the idea. :)

S

sunsaver

Black landscape fabric, instead of mulch, can help conserve moisture while also helping to heat up the soil. Just a thought.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I agree with the comments on peppers, the saying I remember is that "peppers don't like cold feet". I always have used black plastic and have tried to plant in the drier portion of the garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.