THE OFFICIAL GARDENING AND PRESERVING CHALLENGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So, I know this sounds silly but I harvested a small side salad from the garden yesterday:

2oz Arugula
1oz Baby Spinach

So, to date 6/6/11:
1lb Asst. Radishes
2oz Arugula
1oz Baby Spinach

I am really going to try and keep track this year!! In other news, my arugula wants to go to seed, so I am going to harvest the majority of my patch tonight. I may also harvest my rhubarb plant, but we will see. Was kinda waiting until the strawberries start going, so I don't have to throw it in the freezer to just un-thaw later :) We will see how I feel.

DH is gonna till the side garden tonight, and I am going to go the the nursery and get my summer garden! Luckily, all my spring stuff was from seed :) Next year..next year I will do everything from seed.

ETA: Planted my herb bucket on 6/4, so I have basil, thyme, oregano, tarragon, parsley, cilantro, and rosemary. Yay!

Sorry to hear about your peas Neko-chan :( Hopefully they will pull through for you!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I got a few more squash this afternoon and some more peppers. I have tomatoes turning :D

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Picked up some plants...all the nurserys stock SUCKS. I had to go to 3 nurseries to get the following:

2 Roma toms
2 amish paste toms
2 Cherokee Purple toms
1 German Giant
1 Caspian Pink
2 Black Krims
3 Jalepenos
2 Cayenne Peppers
1 Fairy tale eggplant
2 Straight 8 cukes
2 Kentucky wonder pole beans

I still need some more eggplants. I need at least 3 plants, but would perfer 4. I also need a squash plant (not sure if I want spag squash or butternut..hm..) I also am trying to keep some space open in case my seedlings jump up in size. Doubt it though.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I picked all of my carrots today. Some stankin vine was wrapped around all of them...no idea what it was, but it was smothering them out, so I picked them all. I wound up with about 2 pounds of baby carrots. I paid a quarter for that seed packet, so I guess that's not too shabby ;) I hated to pick them :barnie but I had no choice. They are quite tasty though :D I think I'll put some of them in a roast tomorrow :drool

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Huh? you couldn't remove the vine? I'm confused.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Huh? you couldn't remove the vine? I'm confused.
This "vine" was wrapped around each carrot, down toward the bottom at first...that is how i missed it before it got really really bad and wove it's way in among the tops and had them all dragged down onto the ground. :somad By the time I caught it...it was already horribly intertwined in there and every time I pulled, it destroyed a plant :/ I waited till this week to finally just pull them all out. It took some doing too with all that mess tangled up in there. This was a tiny little bright yellow vine about as big around as embroidery thread. I have NO clue what the mess was/is, but it destryed that raised bed of carrots :( Oh well...I have another month to jerk it out and get the bed prepped for more carrots in the Fall, so not a complete loss. That thing grew FAST too. I am going to try to find out what it is and how to murder it before replanting the Fall carrot crop. Hopefully I won't have this issue next time.

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the lettice we got is huge!! when i transplated it from the greenhouse, it looked like it was gonna die a few weeks ago. lol. the spinach is getting pretty big, and strangely one has already started getting ready to have flowers, wtf! peas have flowers, potato row i "mounded", brocoli and cauliflower are starting to look better, the zuchinni/squash plants are huge!some other things growing kind of weak though..the honey bees are crazy and you can actually smell a wonderful honey smell within 20 ft of one of the hives, its working hard!
the tomatoes are starting to get about a ft high. the corn and wheat crops look very good, the corn seedling are starting to really look like the characteristics of a corn stalk, about a 1/2 to ft high. i do worry about the spacing messing up the growth, but so far it seems like things are goin good.:) its a good experiment, because we have never done this seriously before. lol.

i hope everyone gets a huge harvest!!!!! yeeaahh!!:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.