The Official Grape thread

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:yuckyuck, the "Little Shop of Horrors" Smiley
WHERE do you guys get all of these greatsmileys?!?!?!?
dipence71, last year was SSSOOOO WET, most normal plants did awful. I am on replacement #3 for the Concord grape that died a few years ago. LAST year replacement #2 got choked out by grass and weeds, then was attacked by Japenese beetles. I put THIS replacement (10 inches tall from the package--didn't mess with a tiny one,) immediately into a 15 inch pot. I started it last month under the faucet on the south side of the house, protected by bushes. It was saved from sun-scald and the winds that we've had lately in IL. (BTW, I live in Champaign County, SSE of Urbana, almost in Douglas County.) I just moved it this morning to the north side of my garage. It will have sun about 1/3 of the day, then shade and it will grow accustomed to the wind. I'm NOT putting it into the ground until this September, when it's established UNLESS I start seeing roots popping out of the bottom of it's pot.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We just planted 20 more Pinot Noir. We space them about three feet apart, just like the photos of my vineyard in my journal. The gophers got about 10 of our three year old Pinot's so new 1 yr old plants are going in as replacements. The ten extra Temperanillo and Chardonnay will go into pots for any others that may need replacing over this next year.

Yes, you drop any developing fruit for at least three years. This allows the rootstock to gain a foothold. This is also why, during their first and second and sometimes third year, you cut the entire plant back to the first visible bud above ground on the rootstock in the spring. Don't worry - they grow again!

We also have table grapes, and we follow the same process as the wine grapes.

I just walked our acre of grapes and see that most of them have some frost damage. We technically didn't get to 32 in the last two weeks, but its clear that at one point the temp was low enuf to crinkle some of baby leaves and buds. Our last frost date is May 20th. Keeping fingers crossed that nothing will happen in the way of low temps again.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do you need more than one variety of grape for them to pollinate?

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OOOO VickiLynn , good question! We would like to know as well. We are looking at concord and merlot so far. Mostly because my baby wants good eating grapes and I love merlot wine !

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
murphysranch, I GOTTA know the answer to THIS one--after dropping about $30.00 on replacement grapes, I go out to mow around the vines last night and discover a VOLUNTEER grape growing at the base of the established vines!!!!!! :rant Stupid grape vines--If I'd known, I wouldn't have wasted my money on the one in the pot. It even has a tiny cluster on it--GO FIGURE!!!!
ANYWAY, what should I do with it?
Should I leave it there? Will it compete with the existing vine and will one kill the other?
Should I thoroughly soak it and attempt to carefully remove it and replant somewhere else? Will this kill it and/or damage the existing vine? OMGosh, I would LOVE to have Pinot Noir grapes--I REALLY enjoy dry, red wines--I know that everybody talks dry, but most people buy sweet, instead. I'm pretty sure that mine are Concord, they're a little tart, but you can eat them off of the vine and I've made jelly out of them before. BTW, this year my vines are LOADED with clusters.
HELP!!!!!! :he

FarmGirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi Ducks, I would remove it as it likely a shoot from the root stock. You can make jam out of ANY grape and they are all yummy :)

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, remove any "volunteers" you find at the base of any plant. You want all the growth at the top of the plant, not along the stalk.