The Old Ways

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As most know - I have my elderly parents living with me. I hear lots of stories and learn new thing about them every day. Today was one of those learning days.

I occasionally make Kefir and offered dad some today. He took a sip and told me it was really good buttermilk, lol. I'm ok with that. However, I was really surprised when he picked up the salt and pepper and sprinkled some of each in the glass. After I got over my shock I got myself a glass and copied him with a little salt and pepper of my own. I've gotta say - it was good!

So - dad puts salt and pepper in his buttermilk and I remember my grandpa pouring his coffee into his saucer to cool it off. Anybody else remember some of those old ways that are disappearing?

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a favorite quilt that I wrap up in. It's old and has holes in it, but my aunt handstitched it for me for my 18th birthday. She always told me that she wanted me to USE it, not just stick it in a cupboard somewhere to keep it clean. This quilt has been used!! A few days ago, I wrapped my granddaughter in it, and was showing her the hand stitching, and telling her about my aunt who made it for me. We laid it out and counted the squares (36 handstitched horseshoes with horse heads inside). Then we talked about my aunt who used to tell us to bring her flowers "and don't tell me you can't afford carnations! I want them now, not when I'm dead!" And each time she came, she'd had my brother and I each a quarter, and would say, "Be good to your dad because he's been good to me." This aunt also made homemade donuts. Now THAT got my granddaughter's attention! Sooo, we made homemade donuts for breakfast... (I have quilted, and like flowers-especially carnations, and I loved my dad dearly and was good to him until he died...) And I make homemade donuts, and use my handstitched quilts rather than store them forever. (I also use my "good" china...)
IMG_20171206_085127.jpg
IMG_20171206_085150.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Speaking of microwave... I've read both sides of the coin and that microwave food basicly renders it dead of all good bacteria and significantly lowers nutritional value. The other side of the coin is that's all hogwash.

You know the internet is full of opinions and I believe very little what I read on the internet (except here - you all are great). But what say you about microwaving? Good / Bad / don't know?

I wanted to add a little side note... Since switching to mostly fermented foods and growing / raising / butchering my own. For the first time in years my twice annually blood tests came back all good. It sure is refreshing to hear my doctor say "keep up what your are doing - your as healthy as a bull ox" :) :) :)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We took 16 jars of smoked tuna to Mom and Dad at Thanksgiving. Mom hid them in her room. They weren't going to share any with my brothers.

I took down the jam the previous visit. They don't share that either.

Both brothers like the end products but don't know how and don't want to put in the time.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My Great Grandmother did lots of crafts. She made hook rugs. I was 6 years old and she showed me how to hook a rug. I never forgot it. years after she was gone, my Grandmother had 3 rugs up in her attic and said I could have them. They were in bad shape. I was able to mend and restore them because of that rug hooking lesson years and years before. They are now in my guest room.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was even told my chicken eggs are not natural by my FIL once.
That blows my mind, lol. Not natural?
Life was different then.
You are so right! I remember going to my first McDonalds...my mom and her sister found enough change in the car seats for a hamburger, lol. The first hamburger at McDonalds cost 15cents - I don't remember that far back - but I do remember 'em for .35cents. :)
Yes! Whatever happened to aprons? They were also one of my first sewing projects. We made them in home economics class. Do they still have home ec classes, I wonder?
We salted cantaloupe (but not watermelon) when I was growing up because that's what great grandma did.
I still salt 'em both! Love a salty watermelon.
generic brand mac and cheese
Mac and cheese was a bag of macaroni and grated cheese and/or Velveeta.
Holes in blue jeans were mended, never bought that way.
I remember my mom loving iron on patches, lol. She was a seamstress, but iron on patches were quick! When I was a little older we ironed on patches as a fashion statement. Remember 'flower power' - we had patches we'd put on hip pockets of our jeans to identify ourselves as 'hippies'!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know several people who are still convinced that microwaves use nuclear radiation and have tiny reactor cores in them. You cannot explain anything to them.

All the actual real research on microwaved food has shown that it protects the nutrients in vegetables better than other cooking methods if used correctly. The vast majority of people really have no clue how to use one.

It cooks quicker. Cooking time is the enemy of nutrients and vitamins. Also uses the less water which leaches out vitamins.

I use mine for the rare reheating since I've gotten good at judging how much to make.

Corn on the cob. Cut off the stem end so the shuck is unattached and microwave for a couple minutes. Grab with a towel and squeeze the cob out of the shuck. Steams it perfect and usually no silk. It's quicker and doesn't require a huge pot of water to do it.

Most veggies only take a couple minutes and very little water.

Baked potatoes turn out tastiest in the oven but you can microwave them to half done before putting them in and they taste the same. Saves time and electricity.

Meat doesn't cook properly. Even if Mom's first microwave from 1980 had turkey instructions and was big enough.

My uncle helped put himself through college back in 1975 with a microwave. He took his savings and bought one for his dorm room and then charged people to reheat their food. The thing paid for itself in a couple months.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know a lot of people who can. Mostly for novelty though, specialty items, jams etc. But I've come to realize that my particular area of the country, while there are not as many farms as other areas, is full of people who want clean, happy and healthy food. And most of them, since we are 20 minutes from an Ivy League school and big name medical center, are willing to pay for it! There is a growing culture of raising your own meat, most of the people I know have chickens...

That being said, none of them DEPEND on it. It isn't a way of life for most of them. Yet. But I see promise! I am actually very fortunate to live here, snow aside! Lol

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I am sure thinking I like some of the "old ways" !! My computer did some crappy things so it went for a revamp. WOW...I am aghast at the changes!!! Plus I just got a tablet so that I could conform to work requirements of reporting on site. Between the two I am soooooo frustrated & stressed. LOL. Looking for a "tablets for dummies" book!! Instead, I set an appointment for help from my almost 16 y/o GD -- told her to get over giggles first!! Hey, I still use a flip phone. Time will heal.

BUT -- I am a long time sew person. My kids had custom made clothes, as did I and some for hubby too. While I haven't done a lot of it in past several years, I hope to catch back up with it this winter. I'm pretty good and enjoy doing it.
It is hard to find fabric stores now, so many have closed. I like to "feel" the product and that really limits on-line buying. Of course, like most sewers, I have more than a large stockpile of fabrics! OK -- EXTREME amount. LOL

Never did much with knitting or crocheting but, I can whip you up a wedding dress, business suit, set of curtains, or novelty toy with ease. We all have our traits. Oh, I love cross stitch & embroidery, too.