The price of vinegar

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
has anybody noticed how high it's getting? Good grief, my pickles are going to run 2x what I can get at the store (which is why I'm going to start fermenting them)
I don't buy store brand vinegar for cooking, just my preference. Heinze brand white vinegar was 4.99 for a gallon - last year it was *I think * 3.69.
The cider vinegar was much higher too, but I don't use much of that for cooking. I buy small amounts of it raw for dressings and such.

Can't buy unpasteurized cider here unless you know someone selling it privately, or I would make my own ACV.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Holy cow I pay 2.19 a gallon for Heinz and even Costco is 3.23 for 1.3 gallons white vinegar. I do pay premium for Braggs at 15.00 a gallon I am still looking for a cheaper source for that brand. I am not in an apple abundant area to be making it homemade organic.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Since we are taking about vinegar, I was wondering if you agree with what I have heard--most commercial vinegars are pastuerized, which takes the good bacteria out of them. Is this true? I'm confused...:hu

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Javamama said:
has anybody noticed how high it's getting? Good grief, my pickles are going to run 2x what I can get at the store (which is why I'm going to start fermenting them)
I don't buy store brand vinegar for cooking, just my preference. Heinze brand white vinegar was 4.99 for a gallon - last year it was *I think * 3.69.
The cider vinegar was much higher too, but I don't use much of that for cooking. I buy small amounts of it raw for dressings and such.

Can't buy unpasteurized cider here unless you know someone selling it privately, or I would make my own ACV.
Most 'white' vinegar is produced from grain alcohol, much of the grain and grain alcohol have been deverted to gasohol production. Almost all grain prices are higher, haven't you noticed it in feed prices?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
Since we are taking about vinegar, I was wondering if you agree with what I have heard--most commercial vinegars are pastuerized, which takes the good bacteria out of them. Is this true? I'm confused...:hu
If it is perfectly clear it was most likely Ultrafiltered this removes all bacteria much more cheaply than pastuerization in this age of higher energy costs. Of course some white vinegar is made with nothing but chemicals, no fruit, grain, or bacteria needed! Other vinegars are often pastuerized as a safety measure and to extend shelf life. plus the juice used to make the vinegar is often heat treated to give the 'good bacteria/yeast' a clean start.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nope, have not noticed any increase in grain prices. I don't buy grain, except for chicken feed and it's always been high around here.

My personal thinking is store markup because of more interest in food preservation. The whole supply/demand thing. But I think it's ridiculously high here. Priced themselves right out of a sale from me :/ And this was a large chain store, but not WalMart.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Javamama said:
Nope, have not noticed any increase in grain prices. I don't buy grain, except for chicken feed and it's always been high around here.
Well my Waterfowl pellets that I used to pay $8.50/50 pound bag is now $13/bag and now contains 40 pounds. Cracked corn (not strach) was $4/50 now $8.50. To me thouse are huge increases. The crap corn that they used for feed is in demand for gasohol now required in more states and it makes a crap fuel.~gd pardon my choice of words.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You pay significantly less for your feed where you live, I pay 12.99 for cracked corn, 16.00 for flockraiser and 15.00 for layena. Alfalfa 100# bales are 13.00, Bermuda 100# bales run 14.00 or more depending on season. Even the no name brands cost that much here so I stick with Purina. I have noticed a huge increase in my dog food, it was 28.00 a bag to now 44.00 and it used to be 50# now 40#.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So are all the store brand vinegars no good? How to tell?

Someone said some of them are all made by chemicals and no grain or fruit used. Any source on that info? I'd like to know more

Is Heinz trustworth for vinegar?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Heinz is made from grain, I would more concerned with cheap/store brands. Just check the labels and you should be fine.