The REAL FOOD recipe thread

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Why do people think that a whole food diet is difficult?

All of the recipes posted look wonderful and are exactly how I cook.
This thread makes me think of the Beef campaign a while back....
Real Food, it's whats for dinner.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
That pumpkin recipe sounds delicious!!!

(The rest sound good too, but with the weather right now, I want baked pumpkin something fierce!)
Trust me, it IS delicious!! ;)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Dace said:

This is how the wife and I cook and eat everyday. I LOVE to cook, and I have cooked every one of these recipes many many times.

I gotta tell you a quick story about my wife and my smoker. At fist she thought I was nuts for wanting a smoker as big as the one I had made. The very first thing I smoked on it was a couple of my meat loaves. She came in from work that evening and asked what smelled so good. I sliced her a piece of meat loaf.....she took ONE BITE, stepped back and proclaimed "I am done cooking! From now on, YOU do all the main courses and I'll stick to making salads and side dishes"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

To bad that she was dead serious :th :th

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace said:

I have my theories
1. People typically want stuff to be easy. If you've never done it, it seems hard. Its surely easy to walk into the store & come out 30 minutes later with a dozen meals you just pop in the oven or on the stove.
2. People can't seem to think ahead 5 minutes, much less a week or a few days to prepare for preparing a meal. Microwave mentality.
3. People's taste buds are deadened by years of eating crud and real food tastes a little too good. Weird as that sounds...

:hu I don't get it either.
:lol: SCR8PN, thats what you get for "braggin" with such good tasting food :D

That Jambalaya recipe sounds awesome. Mmmm, yes with the alligator tail or some crawfish. Oooh, I have an touffe recipe somewhere! It calls for crawfish fat and its hard to get around here, so we don't make it that often. Its just not as good with butter. **Looking for that now**

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I don't really know. I find it takes me just as long to make crap as it does to make whole food from scratch. Sure, time is always an issue, but I have so many really quick recipes. I guess I should post some of those, huh? LOL

http://www.examiner.com/x-798-Denve...009m8d3-Lightning-low-carb-recipes-Steak-wrap

http://www.examiner.com/x-798-Denve...7d30-Lightning-low-carb-recipes-Marinara-Melt
(This one does called for a jarred sauce, but you can easily sub homemade)

http://www.examiner.com/x-798-Denver-Low-Carb-Examiner~y2009m3d20-LindaSues-Beefy-Mushroom-Soup
(This one uses pureed pumpkin as a thickener. YUMM!)

http://www.examiner.com/x-798-Denve...m2d21-Theres-no-excuse-for-a-boring-breakfast

http://www.examiner.com/x-798-Denve...09m1d27-Recipe-Low-Carb-Green-Chili-Queso-Dip
(This one uses velvetta, but you can use regualr cheddar)

I do have to admit that you dirty more dishes when you make real food :gig

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I do have to admit that you dirty more dishes when you make real food :gig
Isn't that the truth! I have to keep reminding myself, "Fill the sink up with hot water before you start. Wash it as you go."
I wish I remembered that more often. Still trying to make it a habit.

I really like the marinara melt, easy & very tasty looking. And the breakfast article was great! "Try something slightly different next time you feel bored with your food...and no more excuses."

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
ABI!!! Woohoo!

(Abi and I used to take belly dancing classes together. Then the goober moved! ::huff!)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Abi, that sounds yummy! :drool

Now I've never cooked lentils myself, just ate them when cooked for me. Would you need to soak them over night first? (Coming from a NT stand point.)