The REAL FOOD recipe thread

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is Abi :D

Abi is very tall.

The end.

Hee hee hee

I just checked my Nourishing Traditions book. Sally Fallon recommends soaking lentils, but only for 7 hours with a bit of lemon juice. Overnight is usually recommended for other types of beans.

If you have time, soak them with some whey or lemon juice for a nutritional boost.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Absolutely the best Jalapeno Corn bread recipe on the planet.

Heywood's Jalapeno Cornbread.

3 eggs
8oz. sour cream
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 jalapenos diced
1/4 cup evoo oil
16oz can cream corn
1 1/2 cups chopped green onions
1 1/4 cup yellow corn meal
8oz. Monterey jack cheese
4oz. Jalapeno cheese.

The secret to any good cornbread is a hot cast iron skillet. Place your skillet and the oil in the oven set at 350 degrees before you start the recipe. Mix all the wet ingredients together including 2/3 of the grated cheeses combined. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl. When the skillet is hot, mix the wet and dry ingredients together and pour the hot oil out of the skillet into the mixture. Stir quickly and pour batter into skillet. Cover the top with the remaining 1/3 of the grated cheese and place in the oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown. This is so good it doesn't require butter, but I butter it anyway.

I know this one has cheese in it, but it is still OMG to die for!
This one sounds really, really good!

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
If my wife has been extra special good,I make this one for her. ;)

Chicken and Apples in Honey Mustard Sauce
Preparation time: 30 minutes.
1/2 cup apple cider
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp mustard
2 Tbsp seasoned dry breadcrumbs
4 4oz chicken breasts
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 small unpeeled apples, cored and cut into eighths (use Golden delicious, Granny Smith, Jonathan, Pippin, or McIntosh apples, see cooking apples chart)
1/2 cup chicken broth
Fresh parsley
Whisk cider, cornstarch, mustard, honey, salt and pepper (to taste) in a bowl. Set aside.
Spread bread crumbs on a piece of wax paper, lightly coat chicken with crumbs.
In a large non-stick skillet, heat the oil and add the chicken breasts. Cook over medium heat until golden brown on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn chicken, add apples, and cook until browned on the other side.
Add chicken broth, cover and simmer until chicken is tender, about 15 minutes.
With slotted spoon, remove chicken and apples to serving plates. Whisk cider mixture again and add to skillet. Cook and stir over high heat until lightly thickened and bubbly, 1 to 2 minutes. Spoon over chicken and apples, sprinkle with parsley.
I like to serve this over rice. Serves 4.
:drool this is going on my "to make" list this week, I have all the ingredients already :D Your signature made me lol by the way :gig

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
You said we could add a method. Well, right now I have six pork roasts in the oven, doing a sort of fake deep pit. I do it with beef as well. (The pork was on sale for 79 cents a pound.)

I rub the roasts with my seasoning of the week, and today it is kosher salt, lots of coarse black pepper, dried mustard, dehydrated lemon zest, chopped garlic, powdered onion, and brown sugar. I drizzle a little liquid smoke over them and then wrap the roasts in two or three layers of heavy foil, then in a paper bag, then put them in the oven at 275 for about 18 hours.

After they cool, I will shred or chop them and then can them in pint jars, with chicken stock added to whatever juice is in the foil packets.

When I do it with beef, I use steak seasoning from Winco, which is coarse salt and pepper, red chili flakes, garlic, onion, and probably a lot more stuff that I can't remember ! But I like the pork better.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Pressure canner ! It changed my life. (I am now a male lithuanian exotic dancer, but that's another story.)

Latest posts